Anyone interested in a P/S pump tutorial with pics?

n8rsk8r

Dec 23, 2004
TwiLight zOne!!
My P/S pump tutorial with pics. by n8rsk8r

I am having to change the P/S pump on my stang due to it spraying the engine with fluid via the pulley seal< or what is left of it. I ordered one last week, and today recieved the remanufactured steering pump, the pump was around $65.00 and a $19.00 core charge. This is one without the resevoir(which is cheaper by $50.00), my res. is still good. So I will be installing my old res. onto the remanufactured pump-end.

My question is ...Would there be interest on a pic/write up of this proceedure? Upon inspecting the remanufactured pump, I noticed no less than 4 lil bags of seals and a couple bolts. I did a search and didn't see that anyone has done a write up on it.

I think this info would be benifitial to all P/Ss. I am not sure if the 2.3L & 5.0 use the same unit. Again not sure about the 4.6/5.4 either.

If nothing else It could be a loose guide for the other's. Let me know:nice:

-Nathan

• Sponsors (?)

It sure couldn't hurt. It would at least be a point of reference to folks who haven't done it before or are at least curious as to how much work is involved. That's great that you're willing to put forth the effort. I'm sure it will be appreciated by anyone who decides to tackle a p/s pump job down the road.

Thanks man.

RustBucket said:
It sure couldn't hurt. It would at least be a point of reference to folks who haven't done it before or are at least curious as to how much work is involved. That's great that you're willing to put forth the effort. I'm sure it will be appreciated by anyone who decides to tackle a p/s pump job down the road.

Thanks man.

:D Yep, you got it! I will be starting this tomorrow. I am going to paint the pump-end tomorrow after I get off work(in the morning.) I will start the write up then. Give me a day or two.:)

kiddiccarus said:
That is why we have this thread buddy> Write it up clearly and post as many pics, diagrams and anything needed to complete the job successfully here>>>>>> http://forums.stangnet.com/showpost.php?p=1248761&postcount=1

Cool Kid! thanks man, still don't know my way round the place LOL:nice:

rd said:
Been there, done this. I ended up needing and buying the installer tool for the pulley. It made installation much easier than the bolt that came with the pulley.

Pics would be great.

So...how much was the installer? Thanks for reading!

kiddiccarus said:
No problem, check that thread out for other things that you may be looking at doing. It will shed some lite on ways to do projects that you may not have looked at so far.

I will do that when I get a chance, bout ready to leave to go paint. See ya's in da morning.

evintho said:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40749

Not the highest quality tool, but ya gotta love the price! I've used mine a couple of times and it's still holding together!

mine was 7.99 at autozone :p though it only comes in a plastic j-hook holder :rolleyes:

changing the p/s pump shouldnt need a write-up lol. You just remove the belt, pull the pulley with the puller, unbolt the pump, change it and follow the reverse procedure. anyone that needs a write-up for this shouldnt be touching cars.:nono:

stackz said:
mine was 7.99 at autozone :p though it only comes in a plastic j-hook holder :rolleyes:

changing the p/s pump shouldnt need a write-up lol. You just remove the belt, pull the pulley with the puller, unbolt the pump, change it and follow the reverse procedure. anyone that needs a write-up for this shouldnt be touching cars.:nono:

I can see what you are saying, I have alot of wrench time under my belt so don't go thinking otherwise:nono: What I am doing is putting my old resevoir onto the remaned pump end. There are a buch of o-rings and I have never done this. I think a lil write up would be cool for those who do have limited knowledge, or like myself, those who have not tried this proceedure before. Thanks for the response though.:rolleyes:

Reservoir and P/S Pump (paint, take-off, reservoir exchange, and reinstall)

Sorry Kid, but checked out your thread on articles, how do I go about adding to your thread? I would have to start a thread then put the link in there???? Don't understand, sorry.

Anyway, here is a first couple pics.

Factory, or Remanufactured black crap paint:
PHTO0097.jpg

PHTO0096.jpg

After I masked it off (I had to clean a butt-load of P/S fluid from it, I actually had to drain it, there was quite a bit in it) I then sprayed four coats of paint stripper on it, between each coat I used a burgandy (coarse) 3M pad to get as much black crap paint off. After the last coat was applied I cleaned the part with acrylic lacuer thinner:
PHTO0103.jpg

PHTO0100.jpg

I then painted it it with engine enamel (ford blue):
PHTO0106.jpg

PHTO0107.jpg

Took all the masking off except for where the pump hole is (oh and cleaned my counter top:nice:):
PHTO0003.jpg

PHTO0002.jpg

View attachment 485824

((((keep posted, more to come))))

Attachments

• PHTO0097.jpg
    PHTO0097.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 61
  • PHTO0103.jpg
    PHTO0103.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 62
  • PHTO0100.jpg