Engine Boosted 347 / Crankcase pressure - Evacuation Project

93silverlx50

Jun 12, 2017
I have yet to drive my car after putting in a 347 Dart SHP built by Jim Woods at Fordstrokers. When i attempted to take it for its first spin, I noticed oil coming from the front main seal after getting the RPMs up to about 2K - 2500. It doesnt leak at idle, only if I raise the RPMs a little. I am convinced its crankcase pressure not venting properly not simply because of a bad seal. My old motor, the dipstick was always out about an inch from the pressure but never leaked oil. I have yet to install the dipstick in this motor.

After doing some research I found this post that origianlly came from Coral. My question is, has anyone ever done this and is there a tutorial some place, pics would be great... I am not currently using valve cover filter caps, only the tubing running from my oil filler neck to the air filter airbox that was included with the Vortech S Trim kit and the factory PCV valve to the upper intake. I am also using the H.O. kit with the pictured bypass valve.

Original post:

Anyone who has run an aftermarket supercharger for any length of time has been aware of leaking crankshaft seals, gaskets, and oil leaking from the oil filler tube. In most cases, this is caused by crankcase pressure. Mainly from ring blowby, and in some cases, boost pressure leaking past a PCV valve that has not been designed for a boosted application. The following photos detail my answer to this problem. One of the first things you should replace on a boosted motor is the PCV with a genuine Motorcraft turboCoupe valve, P/N E5ZZ-6A666-A, or a '89 Tbird V6 S/C PCV. As an alternative, a PCV from a turbocharged Supra will also work. The Motorcraft valve has a rubber covered orifice that will
prevent boost from leaking by and entering the crankcase.
When under normal operating conditions, the PCV will operate in the normal fashon. The one way check valve, ( Summit P/N MOR-97800) prevents the PCV from drawing air backwards through the evac pump. When under boost, the PCV closes due to boost pressure, the 2 PSI Hobbs switch senses the boost, and trips the Painless wiring relay(Summit P/N PRF-70203), turning on the pump, and drawing the fumes from the fitting welded to the valve cover. The pump is Ford P/N F6ZE-9A486-DC, and bracket is F6ZZ-98450-AD.
The pump and stefs catch can, (Summit P/N STF-5115) are all hidden under the left fender, behind the fender liner.

Attachments

• 20180616_204627.jpg
    20180616_204627.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 364
  • Screenshot_20180617-082155.png
    Screenshot_20180617-082155.png
    407.1 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)