ANYONE know how to wire up a switch ignition?

My wife's 96 Taurus ignition took a crap. I find it easier just to make it a push start button than having to replace the whole ignition crap, it's not the cylinder but inside the column. I don't know which wires to use to make it start with a button or switch, any help?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Does the car have a PATS key or something along those lines?

I gotta say man - especially for Mrs Nacho's car, I'd want the ignition switch to work properly. You could do a hidden switch for an emergency back-up but I'd fix the issue itself.

The guys on a taurus forum should know.......... maybe. :rlaugh:

Good luck.

I just put a push button start in my GT a week ago. I spliced the button I bought into the starter wire from the ignition harness, along with a constant power feed and a ground. It works like a charm, and I can still use my key to start the car since I didnt actually separate the ignition wires. ( I just spliced in the button wires in) I bought the push button off ebay, which Im a little embarrassed to admit, and it was super simple to wire up after looking up the ignition wiring diagram online. I just had to figure out which wire was the starter wire.

I just put a push button start in my GT a week ago. I spliced the button I bought into the starter wire from the ignition harness, along with a constant power feed and a ground. It works like a charm, and I can still use my key to start the car since I didnt actually separate the ignition wires. ( I just spliced in the button wires in) I bought the push button off ebay, which Im a little embarrassed to admit, and it was super simple to wire up after looking up the ignition wiring diagram online. I just had to figure out which wire was the starter wire.

Yea but you still have a working ignition swith. He will have to rewire everything that comes and goes to the ignition switch, because it's dead. That's alot of work, prob better off replacing it.

Vic

I once did something like 95BlueStallion but used a switch from work that I put through the ash tray. It was pretty trick until it shorted out on me one day and I ripped everything out. Blowing fuses is no fun. I wired mine to the clutch safety switch though, so that it would only be "hot" when the clutch was depressed.

I'd just shell out the money if its your wife's DD. Stuff like this belongs on weekend toys, but take it from first hand experience, its not super reliable. Of course, it could be that I suck at wiring, but I am an electrical engineer, so I'll just go ahead and blame it on faulty equipment.

Adam

Thanks guys. The funny thing is that I already sensed a problem with her car and we went out and bought her a new suv. I was going to keep this car as my d/d and put my stang away for weekends, and now this crap happens. Just today I accidently found out how to kill it with the screwdriver. It was pretty embarrasing having to disconnect everything in order to get it to turn off.

I'm going to try just splicing the ignition wire and see if it works like that. I'm pretty sure the ignition wiring is pretty much the same for my stang and taurus. I got the diagram, now I just need to look for it.

Thanks

Hey Blue, can you post a link to that switch? Can you also tell me which wire you used? This diagram i've got is very complicated. You my boy blue! lol

This might help you a bit. It's the ignition part of a remote start wiring diagram. It lists the ignition and starter wire colors and locations. It's for a 96 Taurus.

-----------------------------Wire Color------------------Polarity----------Location
12volts........................lt.grn/ppl or yellow................ + ...............ignition harness
Starter.............................red/lt. blue....................... + ...............ignition harness
Ignition..............................red/lt. green................... + ...............ignition harness
Accessory.....................gry/yel & red/blk.................. + ...............ignition harness
Second Accessory............black/lt green.................... + ...............ignition harness