Anyone paint the plastic piece (air dam) where your whindshield wipers are?

91LX_5L

Founding Member
May 13, 2002
British Columbia
Im thinking about paiting my mirrors but am not sure if I should. I'm thinking that it might look weird saying as the plastic airdam behind the hood where the windshield wipers sit is black plastic as well.

What are your opinions? Im also thinking if I paint the airdam as well as the mirrors it might be too much and look weird.

Anyone?

• Sponsors (?)

I have painted both on my 95GT. It is a black car, so painted trim such as mirrors and cowl are less noticeable. Despite this, having these two components painted makes a huge difference in the looks department. It gets a lot of compliments. I will try to post some pictures. Definitely paint both if you own a '94 or up stang. If you own a fox, paint the mirrors- it looks good. I have never seen a fox with a painted cowl, so I have no input on that.

Painted mirriors looks good theres a few guys on here that have done it and it does make the car look alot better. as far as the cowl I dont know of to many people that have done it but I dont think it would look bad either. At the least you could paint it black to get rid of that dull black fadded look that it has after yrs in the sun. I think that painting it the same color as the car ( except for black cars ) will be to much of one color but I cant say for sure Ive never seen it yet.

I've had my side mirrors painted to match my car since '99 and they still look good. I have a few stone chips in them, but its very minor. As for the cowl piece, I think it depends on the color of the car, some it might look good on, others it probably wouldn't. This thread has made me seriously concider painting mine black now though, that would look GREAT.

Here's my painted mirrors...

lowered1.jpg

IMO painting it black is a FABULOUS idea...there's nothing i hate more than looking at mine(horribly faded) on a car i just worked hard to wash and wax so it's looks good. i'm undecided on how it would look painted the same color as the car but i think black would just give our cars a much cleaner look as opposed to the sun faded plastic

I got my mirrors painted this spring...along with the rest of the car :D. I've been meaning to paint the cowl black but I havn't got around to it yet. I think painting it the body color would be a little too much.
yasp2.jpg

Yeah that is definatly on my to do list, for visual mods, when i get all my engine stuff squared away. Im painting my side views and the cowl. I also need to paint my saleen covers those are pretty freakin faded now too, after a couple years of sun.

I just noticed that the cowl has a little too much grittiness to it, so it would be alot harder to paint that, wouldn't it? I'm not a body shop expert, so i'm not sure how to do it. I think it's an excellent touch! :nice:

Low-5.0 said:
I got my mirrors painted this spring...along with the rest of the car :D. I've been meaning to paint the cowl black but I havn't got around to it yet. I think painting it the body color would be a little too much.
yasp2.jpg

why is ur antenna bent?

xr8d302 said:
I just noticed that the cowl has a little too much grittiness to it, so it would be alot harder to paint that, wouldn't it? I'm not a body shop expert, so i'm not sure how to do it. I think it's an excellent touch! :nice:

It takes paint as easily as the mirrors do. And it is indeed a nice touch. Smooths out the look of the car. :nice:

cb18201 said:
why is ur antenna bent?

I thought it looked better that way :D. A friend of mine did it to his stang, but I never really thought to do it to mine untill I was driving to work one morning and got a huge piece of paper stuck on it. I dont have that problem anymore :lol: :banana: