Anyone read "AUTOMATIC WEAPON" in 5.0 Mustang mag May 06 , p. 147

Slow5.0

Feb 13, 2003
Portland, OR
Anyone read project "AUTOMATIC WEAPON" in 5.0 Mustang mag May 06 , p. 147

In new 5.0 Mustang mag May 06 , p. 147 project "AUTOMATIC WEAPON" they had 05 Mustang GT automatic on test
They said that car weight 3540lbs and they dynoed bone stock 242HP/257TQ bone stock
After that they run on 1/4 bone stock and they got [email protected] with 2.10 60ft
Than they added 245/45/17 Nitto DRs which are smaller than stock 235/55/17 for 1.5" in Overall Diameter 25.7" vs 27.2" (thats like swaping from 3.08s to 3.73s but car already had 3.31 so thats like 4.10s),they added C&L CAI and Predator tune and they got 266HP/267TQ at rear wheels and they run [email protected]

Thing is they write under pics from track that they run bone stock and on pics car had Nitto DRs
But what it pissed me of is that how the heck they can run 13.7s with 100mph with only 242hp/257tq with that weight
With that weight and that power car should run 14.2-14.4
I don't get it ?!?!
I'm not pissed b/c new Mustangs are better than ours (c'mon they are new technology against 5.0 engine that is 20+ years old) ,its just that how they write those things

After i finished reading this article , i broke Paper Shredder Machine because mag was to thick and i slammed whole machine
Good thin is i had finished with reading a few good articles about fox bodys but i didn't finish with reading whole mag ,but who cares

• Sponsors (?)

Slow5.0 said:
In new 5.0 Mustang mag May 06 , p. 147 project "AUTOMATIC WEAPON" they had 05 Mustang GT automatic on test
They said that car weight 3540lbs and they dynoed bone stock 242HP/257TQ bone stock
After that they run on 1/4 bone stock and they got [email protected] with 2.10 60ft
Than they added 245/45/17 Nitto DRs which are smaller than stock 235/55/17 for 1.5" in Overall Diameter 25.7" vs 27.2" (thats like swaping from 3.08s to 3.73s but car already had 3.31 so thats like 4.10s),they added C&L CAI and Predator tune and they got 266HP/267TQ at rear wheels and they run [email protected]

Thing is they write under pics from track that they run bone stock and on pics car had Nitto DRs
But what it pissed me of is that how the heck they can run 13.7s with 100mph with only 242hp/257tq with that weight
With that weight and that power car should run 14.2-14.4
I don't get it ?!?!
I'm not pissed b/c new Mustangs are better than ours (c'mon they are new technology against 5.0 engine that is 20+ years old) ,its just that how they write those things

I'm still not quite sure what you're pissed about other than the miscaptioning, but to explain the good numbers, the new Mustang has a much-improved 5-speed auto, and the torque curve is incredibly flat on the dynos I've seen of S197s. There's a lot more area under the curve than your typical car with a peak of 242 hp/257 tq.

he's pissed cause he's realizing that that mags that we read, follow and support are not reader driven. it's all driven by the companies that put money in their pockets. in return they tweak things to make projects or cars always perform better.

one example their hot rod hooligan project. "stock from throttle body to oil pan" when they sold it the new owner stripped it down, and found a 347 in it. hmm....

donkey_punch said:
he's pissed cause he's realizing that that mags that we read, follow and support are not reader driven. it's all driven by the companies that put money in their pockets. in return they tweak things to make projects or cars always perform better.

one example their hot rod hooligan project. "stock from throttle body to oil pan" when they sold it the new owner stripped it down, and found a 347 in it. hmm....

Thank you

donkey_punch said:

Gotcha. Good deal for the new owner, though...

Slow5.0 said:

Well, if you are saying it's like running 4.10's on a T-5, it's even lower geared than that. With a first gear ratio on the new 5R55S tranny of 3.22 compared to the T-5 (which I think is around 2.95?? correct me on this if I'm wrong) it would make that thing come out of the hole like a bat out of hell. I wish I had a 5-speed auto for my car.:hail2:

94MustangGT5.0 said:
Well, if you are saying it's like running 4.10's on a T-5, it's even lower geared than that. With a first gear ratio on the new 5R55S tranny of 3.22 compared to the T-5 (which I think is around 2.95?? correct me on this if I'm wrong) it would make that thing come out of the hole like a bat out of hell. I wish I had a 5-speed auto for my car.:hail2:

94-95 5.0 T5 is 3.35 1.99 1.33 1.1 0.68

jasonlee0704 said:
Gotcha. Good deal for the new owner, though...

motor was split down the middle. he had it up on car domain, and he posted a bunch of pics of the parts when he stripped it down. i think he did sell alot of parts, or what ever he didn't use on his other stang.

and your welcomed Ernan. i started to realized that a little over a year ago, reason why i haven't bought a mag in over a year. well that and the whole '05 whoring thing that we talked about in the other mag post.

Yeah man, i know new 05s are cool , but you can't have 8 of 10 tech articles on 05s , there is tons of great Mustangs from 79up
They always sayin we are 79up mag ,when is the kast time they had 79 car in feature vehicles ,og how about 4 banger Turbo ,it doesn't have to be SVO
And they pissed me off when thay say "87-93 5.0s" and 96-06 4.6s" where the fwack we are,us 94095 5.0s everybody forget, the good lookin body with 5.0 ,god damnit

We have to get together and write letter to them not just to 5.0 and to MM&FF too

I'm with ya Ernie :D

Reading Hot Rod Mags for accurate, unbiased info

is like

Turning on the 5:00 News for some accurate, unbiased info

Easier to get the real scoop on modding Stangs in these forums IMHO

Grady

donkey_punch said:
i started to realized that a little over a year ago, reason why i haven't bought a mag in over a year.

If you had bought a magazine you would have known that they did put a 347 stroker kit in the car.

And Ernan, I ran a 13.83 at 98.55mph at PRP with a combo that normally puts down 235-245rwhp. (Edelbrock intake, 65mm TB, headers, X pipe, mufflers, pulleys, CAI) I know for certain the car was just under 3800lbs with me at that time. If I had run at a near sea level track there's no doubt I'd have been over 100mph with that combo based on how my times vary at the different tracks I frequent. PRP is the slowest track I run at. I see nothing out of the ordinary at all with the times they ran.

Killercanary said:
If you had bought a magazine you would have known that they did put a 347 stroker kit in the car.

maybe thats true. i don't know.
i was buying the magazine when they featured the hot rod hooligan in the fall of 04. i was buying 5.0 and mm&ff before i even owned a mustang.
it was ( i believe, i could be wrong) in a couple of the issues then it fell off the face of the earth. then the mag was flooded with 05 stang articles. thats when i stop buying the mags. and if they did put a 347 in it and featured it. the *goal* in the original article was to go 10's stock from TB to oil pan.

Killercanary said:

And Ernan, I ran a 13.83 at 98.55mph at PRP with a combo that normally puts down 235-245rwhp. (Edelbrock intake, 65mm TB, headers, X pipe, mufflers, pulleys, CAI) I know for certain the car was just under 3800lbs with me at that time. If I had run at a near sea level track there's no doubt I'd have been over 100mph with that combo based on how my times vary at the different tracks I frequent. PRP is the slowest track I run at. I see nothing out of the ordinary at all with the times they ran.

I know what you mean but i still hate 05 Mustang and Fast Fords :notnice:

I won't but they anymore ,done , KRAJ