Anyone want to discuss throttle bodies? Is bigger better?

I think in the case of my intake manifold, I would likely lose horse power if I went down to a 75mm throttle body from my 90. The opening for the intake is 90mm and I bet with a 75mm on there, there would just be turbulence created where the throttlebody meets the manifold because of the 'lip' causing an unsmooth transition in to the intake.

As for calling it ricy...what kind of import can you get a 90mm throttle body for? :p

• Sponsors (?)

Bloodreign - You have a 408, yours isn't ricey:nice:

It's the stock blocks/strokers that get a little carried away with it.

You can go just as fast with a 70 as a 90...I have yet to see otherwise...

Bigger throttle cost more to go the same speed...:shrug:

so here is my question. While were talking about this why not bring up maf's. Specifically what is the max flow of the stock 55mm Maf?? How much of an adverse affect could this have an a stock or even modified engine. I know we havn't talked much about flow rates of heads etc. but with a normal H/C/I car how much is a factory maf hurting?? (YES im asking this because this is me)

I tend to look at the MAF and throttle bodies as fairly equal in their power they can let you have and power they can hold you back from as fairly linear.

The MAF has an obstruction in it with the sensor in the air path, while the throttle body has a blade/screws in the air path.

I know that 'Pro-M' (if I recall) they were saying that there 80mm MAF would support 800hp.

For NA cars, a 65mm or 70mm is fine. Over 70mm is ricer.

What's important is the *SETUP*! It's best if the TB is matched to the intake. So, in most cases. that means 65mm.

On SC setups, bigger is better. But, throttle response and idle control will suffer!

A TB is DIFFERENT than the MAF, intake tubes, or filter. For the latter 3, you want HUGE with ZERO restriction! The TB is VERY different. It's part of the intake setup. So, having it matched to the intake is important. However, you also want to prevent having too small a TB and have it be a restriction.

so 75mm is big for a TT351 build?