Anyone wish they had not gone with 3.73's?

I AM the random post master...bow down
May 3, 2003
Daytona Bch, FL
Am I the only one? Sure its fun to spin the tires with the slightest touch of the throttle, but if you're spinning you're not going anywhere. I'm also getting sick of having to shift every few seconds so I dont end up winding the car out just to get to speed. 3.73's for a mostly stock car would have probably been nice, but for an HCI car I think it's a little to much unless you're running sticky tires all the time. Am I the only one not happy with my 3.73's and wish I would have gone with a higher gear ratio, or are there others out there that feels the same?

• Sponsors (?)

I like mine..I just did the 355 to 373....I run 18" wheels so it dont seem to blow them anyway as easy...
If your in need, i have a nice set of FMS 355s.... :D

I'm still thinking about a turbo setup for my car. I'm trying to get some parts back from a guy in NY right now so I can start making a new setup so I'm thinking 3.08's or 3.27's will be the better gear.

if you want a set of 3.08's i have set you can get..........you pay shipping and they are yours.........

jason

and i went to 4.10's.......but i am considering going to 3.73's, but i cant find a car local with these gears to drive and see what the difference is between those and what i have...........a recent 2.5 hour road trip at 65 is making me reconsider these 4.10's as well.

I don't have gears on mine but I had considered going and getting em and so I figured what I would be taching at certain given speeds and for a h/c/i turbo car I would have to agree the 3.73s would be a little much but 3.08s are probably a little low I would say for the sake of the turbo go with 3.27s

it would save you a couple hundred rpm which you would certainly notice on long trips but as far as off the line power I would think there will be no noticeable difference unless your combo gives you a powerband where suddenly you jup 30 hp for one rpm to the next...however it would probably be just a tad bit easier to not smoke the rubbers...lol

If the question is about traction,there are a few things you can do to help out the spinning tires!! But if you dont like them because of the revving,put some 355's in!! Some will argue but,for a stock motor 355 is the perfect gear for 5spd's,,and 373's are the perfect gear for aods or aode's

Yeah i love my 3.73s and i admit now, after my H/C/I 1st gear is a joke i just spins even with my 275 nitto Rs, but nothing beats the added 2nd and 3rd gear pull. I like em, sometimes i wonder how muh better my track times would have been with 4.10s but they are great for me on the street, I like shifting.

GTJake said:
Did you finally get ahold of Pete in NY? Getting your parts back soon? And yes, I wish I hadn't gone with 3.73s....

I wish I would've done 4.10s :D

Jake
Yes I just got off the phone with him. He said he's going to be shipping out the parts tuesday so we'll see in a week or two.

I'm not going to spend another 4 hours swaping out gears just yet to have to do it for a 3rd time when I get a new rearend put in it so I'm just going to wait. Gear install isnt any fun :notnice:

Your complaining about wheel spin now, lol... your always gona have major tire spin when your pushing 500+ horse.

Im going down to 327's, after my motor goes back in. Already have em, just gota get around to putting them in. I wouldnt go with 308's man.. You dont plan on trapping in the 150mph range do ya? 327's spinning to 5500rpm should put you right in your rpm range in the 1/4, while offering nice driveability around town.

or just switch to a 4R70W, lol... They are proven to handle major power with very minimal mods to the valve body. No miss shifts,lol No shifting period!