Anyone with a Mac straight shot system

turboscrew

Jun 23, 2004
I'm thinking about going with a mac straight shot system over the densecharger. Does anyone have any opinions about it or any expirence with it? If so I would like to see some pics installed and let me know what kind of gains it gives you. Mac claims up to 20 hp on a stock GT with the system that has the mass air with it....15-16 hp if you use the stock mass air. Mac says they have a plenum for our cars that will be out in 3 weeks. $140 for the unpolished....$180 for the polished and will accept up to a 75mm TB($250 for the plenum and TB)

Will be perfect with the straight shot if it is as good as they claim it is.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't like their mass air design...as it is the C&L design. Their plenum/throttlebody combo looks good. I also like their new design of no bends in the cold air before the mass air. With the MAC CAI my a/f dropped to 12:1, with it cut at the bend it went back up to close to 13:1.

Just don't use MAFs that just reuse the stock electronics, it's a bad idea. If you want a mass air just get a Pro-M, but the gains wont be great. The only reason the MAC or C&L MAF for that matter gain power is by fooling the computer into leaning the a/f up. All it does is lie to your computer.

Just get the new cold air design and plenum/throttlebody, no mass air.

That's what I was leaning towards anyway because the car will remain somewhat stock except for the intake and exhaust. Mac said that the aftermarket mass air will ten to lean the car out.

Thanks for the info.

Just got the MAC straight shot for my '02 GT. So far I have no issues with the SOTP increase over the stock intake w/ K&N. Very nice improvement.
The CAI looks great too! :nice:

The install though...that's another story. :notnice:
Got shorted the 4 bolts for the stock mass air, had to run to the hardware store for 4 1/4"x1" bolts and nuts/washers.
Didn't get any instructions included, and MAC never found any to email to me. The install is pretty simple, but I would like to make sure it's right.
Didn't line up with throttle body perfectly...upper pipe was about 1/2" too long. :shrug: Out came the hacksaw, fits nice now.
Pics of the finished product are in the link in my sig.

As Red35th said, MAFs that reuse the stock electronics simply lean out the A/F ratio to make power. It's not such a bad thing, but when you go with a tune of any sort you'll likely be leaner than you really want. (This is exactly why the C&L MAF on my 02 has been removed - on my wife's 01 it works OK since the Diablo tune is pretty old and mild).
Any inlet tube is better than the OEM accordian rubber hose, but certainly don't expect 15-16HP...maybe 2-4.
I'd be a little leary of their plenum. First off, MAC products just don't have a very good reputation. 2ndly, I kinda worry about the statement in their ads, "Up to 20% better flow" - 'UP TO'? Isn't there any consistency is their product? www.modulardepot.com has done testing on the main players in the plenum HP race. Check out their plenum showdowns, part 1 and 2. Hopefully, during their next round of testing, they'll include the MAC product. I'd be curious to see how it performs. Until there are some independent testing on it, I'd stay away.

i may be the person to do that testing. i've always been pleased with every mac product that i've bought so i have no complaints. if i would have known that they had a plenum a couple weeks ago i would have bought it, instead of the trickflow. so i was thinking if my buddy wanted to buy my trickflow i would test this out & hit it up on the dyno. :nice:

I have the Straight Shot. I like it, but I would go with some form of plastic intake if I wasn't amazed by chrome stuff :shrug: . The install was a little bit of a pita b/c I didn't use the instructions and did things backwards and had to redo it. It fits extremly tight, but it works.

Sacstoy02GT: Mine came with the bolts. And it fit right, just tight. You should have called MAC. I dunno though I guess it is too late now.

Performance wise I picked up about 2-3 mph in the 1/4 mile if that means anything to you. If you want some pics PM me and I will take some and send them to you. I don't feel like loading them on my cardomain page to post up though. :nice:

Steeda2004GT said:
I have the Straight Shot. I like it, but I would go with some form of plastic intake if I wasn't amazed by chrome stuff :shrug: . The install was a little bit of a pita b/c I didn't use the instructions and did things backwards and had to redo it. It fits extremly tight, but it works.

Sacstoy02GT: Mine came with the bolts. And it fit right, just tight. You should have called MAC. I dunno though I guess it is too late now.

Performance wise I picked up about 2-3 mph in the 1/4 mile if that means anything to you. If you want some pics PM me and I will take some and send them to you. I don't feel like loading them on my cardomain page to post up though. :nice:
I was thinking of going with one, but now I have desided to go with a S/C, either a KB or a procharger, and since that MAF leans things out I dont want that, and I bet it wouldnt fit on a KB if I got one and who knows if it will work with the p1sc.Anyways you picked up 2-3MPH in the 1/4 JUST with that straight shot!!!Man thats quite a bit, is that 1/4 time in your sig with or without the mac intake?Also since I will be going the s/c route, and I heard that the crome gets hot I wont be getting any crome intakes if I even get one.Seems to me that my next mod after the S/C goes on will be a FULL exhaust with LTs and an off road Dr. gas X with magna flows (I guess they are called magnapacks).Wonder how loud that will be LOL, but I chose that setup because it sounded the best to me on mustangexhaust.com.Anyone know woh much power that would make over the stock exhaust.

The times in my sig are when I only had my X-pipe and nothing else. I can't seem to get traction anymore and I haven't been yet with my LCAs b/c I can't get the stock bolts off, so they are not even installed yet. Now I am usually running a 14.1-14.2 @ 100-103 mph. My runs always seem to very b/c of my 60'.

Steeda2004GT said:

I guess I was unlucky with mine...tried forever(a good 3 hours+) to get mine in there and line up. Every time I tried anything it would end up with the top of the upper pipe sitting above the throttle body. Could have been due to the C&L plenum and Accufab TB? :shrug: I dunno.
All I know is that mine didn't fit, so I made it fit. :D
I know I should have called MAC, but considering they never could even get me the instructions that I called for...I figured screw them. I can get by without any more MAC products.