anything else needed?

steveb24

Nov 28, 2005
wilmington, DE
im buying cams soon..comp 262's and installing them myself.. do i need anything else to install the cams? also, about the anderson cam tool.. i have only heard about it, but what does it acctually do? where can i buy it? im starting to get bored of the slowness of my stang, and i dont see 4g's coming my way for a blower anytime soon, and then the heartache of fuel problems, and bottom end, trans..and the fact that my stangs gettin up in mileage..almost 64k. ill be doing 3.73's and cams pretty soon and am just tryin to get some background on the install and whats needed to do that. thanks :SNSign:

• Sponsors(?)

steveb24

Nov 28, 2005
wilmington, DE
:lol: i dont know..but ok. can somebody answer my questions to the above about the anderson cam tool and if anything else is needed to install cams?

DropTopPony

Noob Slayer
Founding Member
Aug 13, 2002
south jersey
Visit site
If your going to do the Anderson Cam Tool install then DO NOT use Comp Cams! They grind a few degrees advance in and you can have PTV....I suggest using VT st 1 cams as they tend to be ok when installing with the tool.
Hotmustang331 installed his VT ST1's like this and also did a write up i believe...
only thing i can think of you needing is cam gear bolts...and a tune.

Mel96GT

Aug 31, 2004
San Diego
DropTopPony said:
If your going to do the Anderson Cam Tool install then DO NOT use Comp Cams! They grind a few degrees advance in and you can have PTV....I suggest using VT st 1 cams as they tend to be ok when installing with the tool.
Hotmustang331 installed his VT ST1's like this and also did a write up i believe...
only thing i can think of you needing is cam gear bolts...and a tune.
That is true. You can only install cams that will use the stock settings using the Anderson Cam Tool. Ford Anderson Motorsports sells them. I used the tool and it worked ok. It helps to have an assistant. You don't need anything else since you can re-use your cam gear bolts and your valve cover gaskets. The only tricky part is re-installing the rocker arm/lifters. It is not too bad once you figure it out using a broad screwdriver to gently pop them back in. Take your time, follow the directions and don't forget to lube the new cams with assembly lube or light grease. You should go with VT ST1 cams unless you want to change valve springs. You will definitely need a dyno-tune with the new cams.

Mel96GT

Aug 31, 2004
San Diego
Mel96GT said:
That is true. You can only install cams that will use the stock settings using the Anderson Cam Tool. The cam tool basically wedges the cam chain open and allows you to remove the cam gear without pressure from the tensioner. Ford Anderson Motorsports sells them. I used the tool and it worked ok. It helps to have an assistant. You don't need anything else since you can re-use your cam gear bolts and your valve cover gaskets. The only tricky part is re-installing the rocker arm/lifters. It is not too bad once you figure it out using a broad screwdriver to gently pop them back in. Take your time, follow the directions and don't forget to lube the new cams with assembly lube or light grease. You should go with VT ST1 cams unless you want to change valve springs. You will definitely need a dyno-tune with the new cams.

steveb24

Nov 28, 2005
wilmington, DE
i was thinking comp 262's, but ive heard great things about them and vt stage 1's, as far as cams that dont require a valve spring upgrade. i guess i wolnt be using the tool than, and i dont believe that hotmustang used it either, thats what he said in his write up at least..which i just read and seems to be very good.. also says that the stock computer is fine on many websites that sell the cams, but i already have a tune with the timing advanced a bit and the a/f i guess was messed with too for more power.. so will that be OK? how much do dyno tunes run? thanks guys :nice:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Detroiit Anything Else I Might Need? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 12
SadbutTrue Holley carb - need gaskets (or anything else) when changing jets/checking floats? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
Tripoli Head Swap - Anything else I need to know? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 28
M Will i need anything else to convert my LX to a GT? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 4
G King Cobra kit...do i need anything else? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 2
Repostyle Anything else I need? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
TheDamned Gear install, anything else needed ? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 35
B Trick Flow STAGE 1. Do I need anything else??? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 11
Blue Blurr ordering gauges to i need anything else? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 3
B ordering hooker LT's & X-pipe will i need anything else? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
V 30k Checkup! Anything else I need to do? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
1993SSP Heater core change, anything else need changed? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
95CobraStang New 190lph pump; do i need anything else? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 1
J Lowering Springs...Do I need anything else to go with them SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 14
Bowzyr MM coilover package... do I need anything else? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 5
gruvee87vertgt Fox Installing Headers, Intake Manifold And Valve Covers-anything Else I Should Get To While In There? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 9
D Buying a new gas tank... anything else i should replace at the same time? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
IndianScout Ford Forever anything else is just 2nd class The Welcome Wagon 0
T will anything else work? Mustang II Parts 2
J Can you remove ABS wiring without negatively affecting anything else? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 4
0 P0340 & P0344 Tried Everything..Anything else 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 4
0 Ordered a few body parts!! Anything else I should get painted while its in the booth? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 10
N Suspension: Springs and anything else? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 4
Rothrock95 Anything else? SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 1
Z Transmission? im confused t45 vs t3650 or anything else... SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 4
steveb24 Motor's out, can i do anything else 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 10
gruvee87vertgt Installing fuel pump, Anything else I should replace while I am in there? thanx Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 16
cradicg Carbon Fiber valve covers (and anything else for that matter) SVT Tech Forum 0
N what spark plug can i use on the gt40p heads with stock pistons? and anything else Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
sunil6784 Carpet soaked, interior is out, anything else to do while its apart? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
G has anyone else heard anything on that new typhoon intake for the 2v? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 3
G Has anyone heard anything else on that new AFM / Typoon intake? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 0
S Anything else? Re: Replacing manual transmission with automatic in 2001 Mustang GT SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 10
DemonGT Having gears install this spring, anything else i should get? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
Black Stang 97 Anything else??? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 4
I saleen susp vs. pro kit vs. anything else 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 26
C Rebuilding motor, Is there anything else I should replace?? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
281pony CD player failure. anything else to check? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
B Dash apart soon for heater core, anything else to replace while it is open?????? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
OregonMustang Taking my 04 Cobra in for the tranny guide tube fix....anything else? Regional Forums and Event Information 2
281pony Stripped rocker bolt, anything else i can try? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
S anything else i should look for? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
91LX_5L Putting in Shocks/Struts & Caster Camber Plates (anything else @ same time?) 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 5
explorerguy96 has anyone heard anything else about the 300hp under $20,000 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 6
P Anything else i should know? (Headers?) Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
Imyourzero Getting new shocks & struts. Anything else I should replace while I'm at it? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 4
70stangcoupe K&N Install - Anything Else I should do? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 8
astronut1885 Take a look at my setup, anything else I should do? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 23
Prerunner5.0 Buying a 5.8 swapped Stang, anything I should be aware of? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 34
D Key fob doesn't work for anything 2015+ Specific Tech 0