anything else needed?

steveb24

Nov 28, 2005
wilmington, DE
im buying cams soon..comp 262's and installing them myself.. do i need anything else to install the cams? also, about the anderson cam tool.. i have only heard about it, but what does it acctually do? where can i buy it? im starting to get bored of the slowness of my stang, and i dont see 4g's coming my way for a blower anytime soon, and then the heartache of fuel problems, and bottom end, trans..and the fact that my stangs gettin up in mileage..almost 64k. ill be doing 3.73's and cams pretty soon and am just tryin to get some background on the install and whats needed to do that. thanks :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

If your going to do the Anderson Cam Tool install then DO NOT use Comp Cams! They grind a few degrees advance in and you can have PTV....I suggest using VT st 1 cams as they tend to be ok when installing with the tool.
Hotmustang331 installed his VT ST1's like this and also did a write up i believe...
only thing i can think of you needing is cam gear bolts...and a tune.

DropTopPony said:
If your going to do the Anderson Cam Tool install then DO NOT use Comp Cams! They grind a few degrees advance in and you can have PTV....I suggest using VT st 1 cams as they tend to be ok when installing with the tool.
Hotmustang331 installed his VT ST1's like this and also did a write up i believe...
only thing i can think of you needing is cam gear bolts...and a tune.

That is true. You can only install cams that will use the stock settings using the Anderson Cam Tool. Ford Anderson Motorsports sells them. I used the tool and it worked ok. It helps to have an assistant. You don't need anything else since you can re-use your cam gear bolts and your valve cover gaskets. The only tricky part is re-installing the rocker arm/lifters. It is not too bad once you figure it out using a broad screwdriver to gently pop them back in. Take your time, follow the directions and don't forget to lube the new cams with assembly lube or light grease. You should go with VT ST1 cams unless you want to change valve springs. You will definitely need a dyno-tune with the new cams.

Mel96GT said:
That is true. You can only install cams that will use the stock settings using the Anderson Cam Tool. The cam tool basically wedges the cam chain open and allows you to remove the cam gear without pressure from the tensioner. Ford Anderson Motorsports sells them. I used the tool and it worked ok. It helps to have an assistant. You don't need anything else since you can re-use your cam gear bolts and your valve cover gaskets. The only tricky part is re-installing the rocker arm/lifters. It is not too bad once you figure it out using a broad screwdriver to gently pop them back in. Take your time, follow the directions and don't forget to lube the new cams with assembly lube or light grease. You should go with VT ST1 cams unless you want to change valve springs. You will definitely need a dyno-tune with the new cams.

i was thinking comp 262's, but ive heard great things about them and vt stage 1's, as far as cams that dont require a valve spring upgrade. i guess i wolnt be using the tool than, and i dont believe that hotmustang used it either, thats what he said in his write up at least..which i just read and seems to be very good.. also says that the stock computer is fine on many websites that sell the cams, but i already have a tune with the timing advanced a bit and the a/f i guess was messed with too for more power.. so will that be OK? how much do dyno tunes run? thanks guys :nice: