AODE + gear change = what problems?

I'm considering doing a gear swap and have some questions about driveability afterwards. I've tried searching to get impressions but I don't think anyone has addressed this specific question. Aside from having to do a speedcal to get the gauge to read properly does the trans still shift like stock? In other words, if I were to let a non car person drive the car today to take note how the car shifts and then after the gear swap have them drive again would they notice anything weird with the way the car shifts (aside from going through the gears a tad faster)? Currently the car has 3.27s, so would going to 3.73s cause it to shift erratic (hold some gears too long, others not long enough, not shift without lifting, etc) of would it behave like stock? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

ok i have an AODE with 3.73's and if you change the rear gears make sure you go with a 2400 to 3000 stal convertor. And you will love it. As for the 4.10s they aer great for light to light joust or even the quarter mile. but if you drive it on the highway you woill notice an increase in RPM even at cruise..
With the 3.73's my car feels just like it did with the 2.73 in OD. But turn the OD off, and you will feel the differance. Also you don't have to lift, unless you have a shift kit and don't wanna feel that slam when it changes. But if you wanna break traction from 1st, 2nd and 3rd, keep it nailed..

I went with 3.73's cause I wanted to be able to hang with exotics and other high top end cars on the highway. With 4:10's once you hit 140 your done. I wanna keep walking away from whom ever I race so they know they had no chance.. LOL

Some AODE guys that have 4.10s will hit the limiter before the computer shifts the tranny (the 4.10s allow the car to rev faster than the computer expects). I didn't have this problem when that was my setup but you may find differently.

If you want to stick with an automatic (no pun intended), then consider gears, a shift kit, stall and tune. These will really wake up that AODE for you. If you plan on putting decent horsepower through it think about putting in 4R70W internals or swapping in a 4R70W completely.

Be sure to count the cost for auto vs stick before you drop money in either. Figure out how fast you want your car to go and how much money you're willing to put towards that goal. There's a ton of info on this forum about the pros and cons of each transmission if you search it out.

I ended up with a twEECer tune, custom 2800-ish Edge stall, J-mod AODE w/ 4R70W internals (thanks Don) with regularly-changed Mercon V, SpeedCal and 4.10s.

I daily drive this setup and love it. My wife can also borrow the keys and I don't have to worry about telling her any "tricks" to driving the car. It's also good to know that the transmission has already had more horsepower through it than I'll ever be able to throw its way!

It's going to rock even more w/ the blower. :D

Wes

P.S. Oh yeah and with your AODE, don't go WOT into OD and don't romp on it when the fluid is cold*. Bad things happen.

* = me :owned:

Wes had a very thourough post
Let me add, that I used to have 3.73s and AODE and sometimes i still hit the limiter in first gear. Not often, but it happened occasionally.

I rode in Wes's car before and after his stall/4r70w swap and let me tell you the difference is huge. Stalls are the pwn,almost makes me wish I kept my auto instead of swapping to 5 spd.

PS. Burnouts + cold aode = wes pwned
:D

Stanger007 said:
Some AODE guys that have 4.10s will hit the limiter before the computer shifts the tranny (the 4.10s allow the car to rev faster than the computer expects). I didn't have this problem when that was my setup but you may find differently.

If you want to stick with an automatic (no pun intended), then consider gears, a shift kit, stall and tune. These will really wake up that AODE for you. If you plan on putting decent horsepower through it think about putting in 4R70W internals or swapping in a 4R70W completely.

Be sure to count the cost for auto vs stick before you drop money in either. Figure out how fast you want your car to go and how much money you're willing to put towards that goal. There's a ton of info on this forum about the pros and cons of each transmission if you search it out.

I ended up with a twEECer tune, custom 2800-ish Edge stall, J-mod AODE w/ 4R70W internals (thanks Don) with regularly-changed Mercon V, SpeedCal and 4.10s.

I daily drive this setup and love it. My wife can also borrow the keys and I don't have to worry about telling her any "tricks" to driving the car. It's also good to know that the transmission has already had more horsepower through it than I'll ever be able to throw its way!

It's going to rock even more w/ the blower. :D

Wes

P.S. Oh yeah and with your AODE, don't go WOT into OD and don't romp on it when the fluid is cold*. Bad things happen.

* = me :owned:
I have to agree....and from what you said....I think we have the same source...(DON).....I had Don change my shift points........but I have to tell you that I went with the 3:73's and they are great until 3rd on the track where if falls off with the aode.........I didn't want to get to radical on the street but you find yourself having the "never enough" or just a little more syndrome.........You'll be fine and will like the 73's but you really may want to consider the 4:10's

ive got an aode with 4.10s in the rear. i had to have my shift points messed with. i bounced off the limiter. At this point im starting to think that the gears are part of my tranny problems. My rpms are pretty high on the highway. I would love it if they werent so i then i could take it to college with me. But if i were u and traveled fairly long trips i would go with 3.73s/

It's really simple math - on the part throttle shifts, going from a 3.27 to a 3.73 means that all MPH shift points (part throttle) will be off by about 12+% - not all that much and maybe not even noticeable. This also will affect converter lockup. WOT shift points are generally RPM triggered, so the motor will be revving at a faster rate with the 3.73's, but again, I doubt it'd be that much so you'd hit the limiter. It'd be different if you had 2.73's or even 3.08's. They may, however not be optimized for performance. A chip could fix all that up really quick!

I also think you need 4.10's and a 3000 stall converter to get the most out of it at the track.

Don