Apex wideband wiring

oldno7

Mar 27, 2010
How do you wire this up. Does it get wired to the ecm or is it just key on power and ground Instructions suck. If it goes to ecu what pins does it land on

• Sponsors (?)

EB58F0D3-DAAD-4037-A8BA-C244A599C9F5.png

There is nothing wrong with the instructions, they are very clear. Your problem is a lack of understanding of the foxbody engine control computer and/or a lack of understanding of automotive electrical circuits. Wideband Air/Fuel gauges use their own special dedicated wideband sensor. It does not connect to the the foxbody computer at all.

You will need a separate O2 sensor bung welded into the exhaust pipe for the wideband O2 sensor. The closer the wideband sensor it is to the joint where the header bolts to the H pipe, the better the results will be. The Gotcha is that it will only see the air/fuel ratio for one side of the engine. You need two sensors and a selector switch to see both sides of the engine.

Here's a book that will get you started with how the Ford electronic engine control or "computer" works.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 by Charles Probst :ISBN 0-8376-0301-3.

It's about $25-$50 from Borders.com see http://www.amazon.com/ . Select books and then select search. Use the ISBN number (without dashes or spaces) to do a search. Try searching using M-1832-Z1 instead of the ISBN number if you don’t get any positive results. You may only be able to find a used one, since the book is as old as the cars it covers. Or you order it from your Ford dealer as SVO part no. M-1832-Z1.

Use the ISBN number and your local library can get you a loaner copy for free. Only thing is you are limited to keeping the book for two weeks. It is very good, and I found it to be very helpful.

For free automotive electrical training, see Automotive Training and Resource Site . Once you are there, select online instruction. I have personally reviewed the material and it is very good. If you are new to automotive electrical troubleshooting, I highly recommend you spend a hour or so going through the material. You'll save at least that much time troubleshooting problems.

Last edited: