Engine Are dowel pins needed to align a front timing cover?

evintho

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Santa Rosa, CA.
I have a front seal leak (just a drip really) on my newly rebuilt '93 5.0. Question: Am I missing dowel pins that need to align the timing cover so the crank is centered in the TC bore?
This pic is from teardown and I don't remember any dowel pins.

P1010015.JPG

This is after I pulled the balancer to try to address the leak.

tc2.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Not bad. The rubber part of the seal bottoms out on top of that ridge. From the base of the balancer to the top of ridge is about 7mm. It's also 7mm from the metal face of the seal to the rubber part. The motor had 90k well cared for miles before the rebuild.

balancer1.JPG

Even so, do not tighten your timing cover until you install your balancer.. After installing the balancer make sure the timing cover is loose enough to center it as best you can where the seal surrounds the balancer contact .....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Even so, do not tighten your timing cover until you install your balancer.. After installing the balancer make sure the timing cover is loose enough to center it as best you can where the seal surrounds the balancer contact .....
That's what the dowels are for, I believe they are just tube that presses into a machine shoulder at the bolt hole, that's why the timing cover is such a PITA to remove/install with the oil pan on, those dowel pins (or alignment pins) kinda center the seal on the crank snout (as the children snicker in the background)

Reactions: 1 users
Correct
They are sleeves around the bolts like the block has to locate the heads
Yes, but that is not what I would call a "dowel pin". Thus my statement about not ever seeing "dowel pins" on a SBF for the timing cover. They are just called alignment dowels. Like the following kit from Summit Racing:

Whereas, these are dowel pins used to align a cylinder head on a SBC:

Even with the " alignment dowels" I still think you are better off NOT tightening the timing chain cover until you install the balancer... That couple of thousandths movement might make a difference.....
Make sure you put a little grease on the seal too for start up....

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users