are GT40 heads direct bolt on? 95 mustang gt

riskyplays

Jul 27, 2018
america
i have a 95 mustang gt and i am looking at getting GT40 heads (Not GT40p) from a 96-97 explorer for some more hp. is there anything weird or special i need to do or can i literally unbolt it from one car and bolt it straight onto my mustang?

• Sponsors (?)

i have a 95 mustang gt and i am looking at getting GT40 heads (Not GT40p) from a 96-97 explorer for some more hp. is there anything weird or special i need to do or can i literally unbolt it from one car and bolt it straight onto my mustang?

Is there any gain in HP using the gt40's? I know the P's are good for 15 to 20 more HP. But the stand alone P's?

Is there any gain in HP using the gt40's? I know the P's are good for 15 to 20 more HP. But the stand alone P's?

The gt40 heads are good for more power than e7s, especially when getting past .400 lift.

Gt40p heads flow a little better than gt40 heads at the expense of less header selection. You can buy new, but finding a used set of Gt40p headers is a damn PITA. I’m not talking about ones that require you use 90 degree plug boots behind a header primary, but actual Gt40p headers.

The gt40 heads are good for more power than e7s, especially when getting past .400 lift.

Gt40p heads flow a little better than gt40 heads at the expense of less header selection. You can buy new, but finding a used set of Gt40p headers is a damn PITA. I’m not talking about ones that require you use 90 degree plug boots behind a header primary, but actual Gt40p headers.
Hopefully i wont be in that category, ive got a set of p's in my garage soon to be worked on, same time im also waiting for on3 to re+release the newer turbo kits. Hopefully those header will have enough clearance.
Some porting work will probably be needed on the normal 40's to match hp output on the p's.
Are the intake and exhaust valves better on the normal 40's than stock p's? And if so, are those valves interchangeable?

Hopefully i wont be in that category, ive got a set of p's in my garage soon to be worked on, same time im also waiting for on3 to re+release the newer turbo kits. Hopefully those header will have enough clearance.
Some porting work will probably be need on the normal 40's to match hp output on the p's.
Are the intake and exhaust valves better on the normal 40's than stock p's? And if so, are those valves interchangeable.
i did some research and there is no difference on HP gains between the two heads.

i did some research and there is no difference on HP gains between the two heads.
Well technically the Gt40p heads will bump compression up a tad bit so you’d possibly see more power if they’re the same setup. Not enough to notice though.

I guess ill have to trim down the flange on my hooker headers for the gt40p's.
It’s not the flange that’s the problem, it’s the primary itself. A couple literally will make contact with the spark plug boot.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user