are long tubes headers hard to put on?

• Sponsors (?)

I just installed my BBK 1 3/4 in. LT and I had to raise pass. side about 4 inches and it slid right in. I tried to do it not raising the motor and it was NOT going to happen. Drivers side I had to remove the steering shaft and it went in without raising the motor.

mustanghunter50 said:
will it matter any different that these are going on a convertible? will it make the job any different?

Yes it will unfortunately, the driver's side collector will be resting on the convertible x-brace. I had to have my mechanic reweld mine to clear it. Wish I had known before-hand to plan it out.

Edit-I dont know what years your is, but on the SN95s its a problem.

I have installed quite a few sets of Lt's in many different year cars. As for your 87:

You will have to lift the engine on the passenger side.

On 1990 and up vehicles, I have not had to lift the engine as the strut towers are in a different position.

you do have to raise the entire vehicle a fair amount to enable you to maneuver the header under the car.

Watch the cable routing near the header. you may also want to swap in a small high torque starter at this time. I have found the stock start to ride close enough to the LT's to cause heat soak problems. (Failure to crank engine when hot)

Just a few things to look for. I'm sure I forgot some...

LT's make a BIG difference on how the engine runs.

donsbad - What year is your car?

You will need to lift the engine a bit, especially if you don't plan on scrathing parts or your headers.

I have had both shorties and longtubes. I would keep the shorties, unless you want every single bit of power you can get...it isn't worth the price tag IMO.