Are MSD Pro Billet Distributors garbage?

• Sponsors (?)

Looking at a used (looks new) 8456 MSD distributor for sale. I'll put it to the test and see what i get. It's $70, looks cool and im a junkie. lol.

I assume the stock distributor is aluminum also? So the MSD should'nt heat soak the TFI module any worse than the stocker. Depends what the stock material is vs. i think the MSD is 6061. Maybe the MSD material soaks up more heat actually making it worse than stocker.
Distributor material is not the issue. Both are aluminum. Factory is cast, MSD is machined.
The issue is solely the TFI of the day. The old TFI's had thermal limit of 257deg, the new TFI's have a higher thermal limit.
125degC = 257degF

They also used insufficient thermal paste on the TFI. The silicone paste is good enough but "a little dab won't do you". They didn't take the time to spread an even film of it. They should have taken a lesson from high end stereo equipment; they used the same thermal paste on the output transistors. They use the same stuff on the ECU drivers, but Hitachi did the assembly, not Ford.

It's just another Ford eF'up & there were a lot of them in those days.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Meh, my MSD distributor is 10 years old and works just fine. Their EFI system, on the other hand, blows.

Also, holy zombie thread Batman! :rlaugh: