are quad shocks needed???

fordguy87

Jul 15, 2005
PA
I was just wondering if the quad shocks on the fox body mustang were needed, they look like they should be kept but I had people tell me we didn't need them. just thought I'd see if anyone knew

• Sponsors (?)

Like mondo said they are their to control wheel hop, in a big part because the stock LCAs are stamped steel which has the tendency to flex under load. You can try to ditch them and see if you have any wheel hop. If you do the only other way to keep from having wheel hop with on quad shocks is to put some aftermarket LCAs on. I am running some MM street LCAs and no quad shocks and no wheel hop.

super302 said:
I have Granatelli upper and lower control arms, and 17x9 rims, i still have the Quad Shocks...no reason to take them off if they dont rub the tire (unless you want to save liek 4 pounds, lol)

I have heard leaving them on can cause the suspension in the back to bind and not work as well as it could with aftermarket arms.

Don't know if it's true or not -- but it's just one more variable to me, so off they went...

fordguy87 said:
I was just wondering if the quad shocks on the fox body mustang were needed, they look like they should be kept but I had people tell me we didn't need them. just thought I'd see if anyone knew

index.php

My friend's 87 GT didnt wheelhop when launching without them with the stock control arms but did wheelhop when trying to do a burnout, Lakewood Lift Bars and no more wheelhop during a burnout.

My 89 LX, took the quad shocks off when I put some Lakewood Lift Bars and UCA's and it didnt wheelhop.

My 88 GT had Steeda Aluminum LCA's and no quad shocks when I bought it, it wheelhopped so bad it broke one of the parking lights! Put some quad shocks on it and it quit. Arrrrg!

How wide of a tire do you think you could get back there without any rubbing? I have a cobra bumper and with that size tire can you get tailpipes that will fit or will they need to be customized or custom bent because i like the look of big tires and wanna use the cobra cutouts for my pipes .. thanks

fordguy87 said:
How wide of a tire do you think you could get back there without any rubbing? I have a cobra bumper and with that size tire can you get tailpipes that will fit or will they need to be customized or custom bent because i like the look of big tires and wanna use the cobra cutouts for my pipes .. thanks
I have a cobra rear bumper with tail pipes, i have 255/40/17's, no rubbing at all, and looks nice too :D

I had 26x11.5x15 ET Streets under my GT, they are about 10.5 inches wide and fit with the quad shocks flipped and tailpipes. They did rub with three people in the car but those other two people both weighed over 200 pounds. My friend had 295/50/15's on his 87 GT and they fit with the fender lip rolled, no quad shocks, hammer tubbed the inner wheel wheel.