Are unilug wheels okay--or should I pass?

CarFreakGT

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 26, 2003
Louisville, KY
I'm not looking to spend a lot on wheels and tires right now, as I'm putting the $$ elsewhere for suspension and steering. But, I've been checking out some used wheels for an upgrade to 15". It seems that all of the used Cragars that I find are unilug--fitting 4.25 & 4.5 bolt patterns. Anyone have, or know of, problems experienced w/ these? Are they sufficient for a budget upgrade on a weekend/nice weather driver? I've passed on a couple of opportunities to get a set of 4 (w/o tires) for $250-300, but have a similar opportunity.

Any input is appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

i ran uni-lugs for a long time with no problems. as long as you use the right lug nuts and/or washers (depending on which style it is, there are 2 styles, ET and everyone else) you'll be fine, i've used both styles with no problems.

LOL--thanks, guys! There appears to be a concensus! I appreciate the input, and I'll look closely to make sure that the appearance/condition are acceptable.

Again, many thanks!

The S/S wheels used to be bad about peeling the chrome off the aluminum wheel centers. As for the steel rims they, like all other chromed steel wheels have to be maintained (cleaned often) to keep the rims from rusting too.

I bought 4 brand new Cragar SS about 5 years ago, stored them one winter in my Moms garage undercover. My brother ended up moving them standing upright, a chipmonk pissed on them and they rusted around the rims on two from that little rodent:bang:

Most, even if in bad shape can be cleaned up OK with steel wool and a good car wash cleaner. An oil base silver paint put on by small brush will cover most rusted/pitted areas and look OK from 10-15' away.

I just stored mine tonight and rubbed them down with vasalene to keep any moisture off them. I think my brother knows NOT to move them this time around:rlaugh:

If you run the unilugs, check periodically to be sure their still tight.
(any washered wheel for that matter)

Be careful with the tire shop you go to and make sure they put them on correctly after they install the tires. I've heard a few horror stories of wheels comming off with those. Apparently some people can't figure out how those washer work....

I'd avoid the mess all together and take the rims to the shop, have them install the tires and then bring them back and put them on yourself.