ashtray door

• Sponsors (?)

I was thinking about gluing a magnet onto the underside of the door so that it sticks to that tab of the metal ashtray and holds it closed. I'm gonna have to stop by Ace Hardware one of these days and get one of those little magnets like you use on cabinet doors, and give that a try...

That spring is a true marvel of Ford engineering :rlaugh: If you take off the top part of the console you will be able to figure it out easier. It just can't be done with the console still attached.

Ive got a small piece of velcro stuck on mine, it doesnt quite shut all the way flush but it is really close. Ive got a spring just cant fiqure out how to put it on.

if you want in the morning ill go out and take mu console back apart and grab a pic of how it needs to be...i put a new spring on mine when i did the conversion from blue to black.

Ford can get the springs....alot of the fords have the same spring...even some 04 van that I have seen

I modified mine to work again and not break using the stock replacement spring. I have also used a stick on wheel weight on a friends mustang and it worked alright

I'm not so sure my door spring is broken so much as it's just weak. The thing will allllllllmost hold the door shut - sometimes it'll stay shut for a few seconds while you're driving, but a few little road bumps makes it flop open again. :shrug:

Never thought of the wheel weight idea. That sounds like a better idea than my magnet idea, actually...

sounds like the spring is gone...mine did that it broke about q week after I bought the car....fixed it a few weeks later and it has been good since. Now it has alot more tension on it it takes way more to open it and I need to shut it slowly or it feels like it will brake something lol.....Maby I should keep my coins somewhere else so I don't use it every day lol

Maybe take apart a mouse trap and use the spring from that on the door?

"Hey, dude, could you do me a favor and dig that quater outta the ashtray?"
"Sure..." *SNAP!!* "AAAAAARRRRGGHHH!!!!"

:D

Seriously, though, does Ford use a new-and-improved spring on newer models that could be retrofitted onto a Fox? Do it once and never do it again, as opposed to replacing one weakly-designed spring with one after the other.

That spring is a true marvel of Ford engineering :rlaugh: If you take off the top part of the console you will be able to figure it out easier. It just can't be done with the console still attached.

This is not true. I broke mine before, I can't remember what I was doing, but I was pissed. I was so proud of my working door. I went and got some long needle nose pliers, bend the spring(if it is still there) so that it goes back in the hole on the door, I'll MS paint it in a second to the best of my memory. You CAN do it w/o taking out the console.

Here you go, save that, this can be done from the top, using two VERY long needle nose pliers...

springfix.jpg

Well my car is in the body shop or I'd take a pic of it, but that's exactly how i remember it being, I think I was putting in my switch panel and I knocked the spring loose. And that's how I fixed it.