ashtray door

It's a coiled spring? I always remembered mine as looking like a funky L-shaped spring with a loop in the middle...? :scratch:

I wonder if I could talk a random tire guy at one of the local shops to just hand me a stick-on weight or two so I can try out that solution on mine. I just wonder, though, if it might still try to pop open whenever I hit bumps n' stuff, or if I'll have to completely disconnect the spring so it won't try to open, anymore...?

• Sponsors (?)

It's a coiled spring? I always remembered mine as looking like a funky L-shaped spring with a loop in the middle...? :scratch:

I wonder if I could talk a random tire guy at one of the local shops to just hand me a stick-on weight or two so I can try out that solution on mine. I just wonder, though, if it might still try to pop open whenever I hit bumps n' stuff, or if I'll have to completely disconnect the spring so it won't try to open, anymore...?

thats how mine is..give me a few ill go take it apart and get a pic.

here

88mustangmisc.041.jpg

88mustangmisc.038.jpg

88mustangmisc.042.jpg

one of the mounting holes where the spring goes broke/cracked and i was bored one day and to my surprise the spring was laying there on the carpet!! i superglued the crack and put the spring in and it works 100% now :nice:

Thanks for the pics Ryan. I do have to agree though, paint all the console that is visible open or closed. Its kinda like not painting the door jambs on a blue car after you painted the car black:rolleyes:

I'm almost feeling motivated enough to try to see this weekend if maybe the spring in my console is just flipped around the wrong way, by chance. That would just be too damned convenient to be true, wouldn't it? :)

Good pics, Ryan. :nice: Now, go spray that ashtray door! You've got the Maaco paintjob effect going on, there... :D (I can't throw stones. My notch still has some OEM maroon showing in a few random places here and there.)

Anyone got pics of their own alternative solutions to the ashtray door problem? (Wheel weights, magnets, a buttload of Super Glue, whatever...?)

True ... but if you use TOO strong of a magnet, you're just going to lift the metal ashtray dish out at the same time that you're trying to open the ashtray door, which might kinda jam the thing and keep it from opening, at all. I only figured this because I once tried using a big fat glob of that "poster putty" stuff under the lid one day - it DID hold it (for a day or so, until the heat made it super-gooey), but it prevented me from opening the ashtray door for when I wanted to plug something into the cigarette lighter outlet. If the magnet is weak enough, it will be enough to override a weak or missing spring and keep the door closed, but it'll let go of the metal dish when you open it...

...in theory, at least. :D

I'm almost feeling motivated enough to try to see this weekend if maybe the spring in my console is just flipped around the wrong way, by chance. That would just be too damned convenient to be true, wouldn't it? :)

Good pics, Ryan. :nice: Now, go spray that ashtray door! You've got the Maaco paintjob effect going on, there... :D (I can't throw stones. My notch still has some OEM maroon showing in a few random places here and there.)

Anyone got pics of their own alternative solutions to the ashtray door problem? (Wheel weights, magnets, a buttload of Super Glue, whatever...?)

yeah i know..i missed it when i was dyeing them..i gotta get another can first.

UPDATE: Buy a pack of small rectangular-shaped magnets from Ace Hardware ($1.75 for 8 magnets). Take four of them stack them atop one another to attain proper reach, and glue them to the underside of the ashtray door where they can contact the metal ashtray basin's lift-out tab. FIXED. :nice:

Got four magnets left. Gonna fix the ashtray door in Frankie's Capri sometime soon...