ATTN: 00-04 Vortech Owners!

Smokeurhonda

May 1, 2003
Maryland
I bought a 00-04 vortech sq kit. It is brand new, but did not buy from authorized dealer. It is the high output kit with the aftercooler and is suppose to run at 9-10 ibs. Question is did your kit come with a MAF? I looked all through mine and can't find one. I have the fuel pump, and injectors. Am I suppose to run a stock MAF at 10 pounds of boost?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Vortech kits do not come with a new MAF that I know of. You need to get a new one, or have a tuner make the necessary adjustments in the tune for your stock MAF. I'd suggest an upgrade to something like the Pro-M .

None of the vortech kits come with a new maf. some of the newer kits come with a diablo mafia but thats about it. I too have a vortech non intercooled running right around 7lbs of boost and I was pegging my maf at a hair under the max 5 volts. I recomend buying a new maf over a extender like the mafia. Sct and sniper both make good maf that arent too expensive. If you dont plan on ever pushing it beyond the 9psi you will be making you might get away with ford lightning 90mm maf. you can pick them up new on ebay for as little as $65 but you might pegg that one too in witch case you will have to buy a exender, those two combined wont be much cheaper then actaully buying a good maf.

MY 96 Cobra makes 8.6 lbs of boost with a stock MAF and T-body. I don't think MAF's are necessary with the proper tune.

bigger mafs or maf extenders are necessary once you peg the maf you have. your stock maf may not beg at 8lbs, which is fine, but if you were to go to 12lbs it would peg. at that point, you'd be a fool not to get a larger maf as your cars computer would not have an accurate measure of the intake air charge. thus your a/f ratio could easily be off no matter how good the tune is as the tune would not be able to compensate for the air charge at anything above the 5V limit.