Attn: Jrichker or any other electrical Guru...Will I get more amperage from a smalle

gruvee87vertgt

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 7, 2003
Chicago, Il
Continued....Will I get more amperage from my alternator if I install a smaller pully?

I installed bbk pullys on my 1995 Chevy tahoe. I Did Not install the alternator pully, I did install the crankshaft pully which is significantly smaller and I installed the water pump pully which is a little larger but barly noticable.

I had to install a smaller belt.

Now at a red light the volt gauge goes down . I checked the tension in the belt and it is nice and tight.

Also, I have upgraded the alternator to battery cable and the battery to fuse box.

Also I have a 250 amp powermaster alternator......So what is the problem?

I am assuming if I get a smaller alternator pully it will help my amperage? any input is appreciated. thanx

• Sponsors (?)

The underdrive pulley on the crank will slow down the whole belt. Thus slowing your alternator at idle.

Installing a smaller pulley will not make your alternator "make more amps".

It will however spin it faster and therefore you will probably be spinning it fast enough at idle to charge your battery.

Make sense?

yes depending on the size diameter, smaller you go faster it will turn. Think of a multi-speed bike. Gear/s by crank/pedals would be the crankshaft pulley on engine while cog gears on rear wheel will be either an alt or waterpump pulley. Shift down to smaller size and rear wheel will spin faster.

Marlboro_Man said:
The underdrive pulley on the crank will slow down the whole belt. Thus slowing your alternator at idle.

Installing a smaller pulley will not make your alternator "make more amps".

It will however spin it faster and therefore you will probably be spinning it fast enough at idle to charge your battery.

Make sense?

yes, it makes sense.....thanx guys.

Anyone know where I can buy a custom pully?