auburn differential question

rockyracoon

10 Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
margate NJ
posted 12-06-2008 11:37 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have an auburn carrier from an 85 mustang gt,I have seen reference in regards to ford 7.5 gears above 3.73 ratio, not fitting auburns due to the need for the modified center pin,which supposedly will not fit the auburn.Am I limited to 3.45 ratio using the auburn?

thanks in advance for any replys.

• Sponsors (?)

I think as you go up in ratios the thickness of the ring gear increases and causes interference with the pin. IIRC from reading the instruction on mine, the pin can be modified to make it work, but I was dealing with the 8.8 so I definitely cannot speak definitively about the 7.5. I'll look around and see if I can find my install manual and check it out for you.

That diff might be for an 8.8 rear. I looked all over Auburn's site and they don't even make a diff for 7.5 fords that I can tell and for the 8.8 diff listings they list 85+ Did you buy this diff off someone that said it came out of an 85? It may have been an 85 with an 86+ rear or something. I always thought the 85 GT's had 7.5's but Auburn lists 8.8 as 85+. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?