AUTO OVERDRIVE

tman0950

Jan 6, 2009
Hi, I want to put a AOD trans in my 67 fastback, it will have a 408 engine and I would like to use the stock shifter. I know this has been done, but I didn't know if someone has a kit to do it. Thanks for your help TMAN0950

• Sponsors (?)

May want to rethink the stock shifter. I went with the stock setup to keep my sweet stock console and made my own rod, this works very well for cruising and I have no regrets in going AOD. However, after a year of use I really want a good aftermarket shifter with positive shift stops and reverse lockout. Having lots of power on tap leaves plenty of room for error when upshifting, all it takes is a small slip to give very bad results at worst and a 1-3 shift at best. It is manageable but if you beat the snot out of it (with a 408 stroker, I believe you fit this mold) there are other things to pay attention to than thinking "easy on the shifter". I will probably ditch the console and go with a real shifter when the aftermarket steering wheel and high back buckets come into play, I am really torn on altering the stock interior though.

in short you can make a rod with round stock, a tap and some rod ends.

my advice is to contact lentech about getting one of their valve bodies with the revised shift pattern. then pick up a B&M ratchet shifter, like the quick silver.

I have the quicksilver and love it. I don't have near the power you guys do but I get 22mpg out of the AOD with 380 gears in the 9inch driving about 65mph. Love the AOD

for the neutral safety switch/backup lights, bullet connectors and lengths of wire are the harness. Made mine up for free with stuff out of the electrical drawer. The blue bullets are a bit bigger but will work fine. Lentech has a good install manual available on the web showing wiring diagram along with all the other required info.