Auto To Manual Swap- God Help Me

henry winkler

Jun 19, 2017
Hey, My name is henry and I own a 2006 mustang GT, unfortunately the transmission in my car has just died… right after I got the engine replaced… uuuuuuugh. I don’t want to do a full stock replacement because I’ve often heard that the 5R55S automatic transmission that 05-09 mustangs were equipped with were not reliable (obviously in my case) and left a lot to be desired as far as gearing goes. I want to upgrade to a manual, but after the recent engine swap my funds are not as plentiful as they once were, I was considering buying a v6 manual parts car (and selling off what I do not use to hopefully make back some money) to supply the pedal assembly transmission mounts, etc. And then either rebuilding the v6 trans or buying an aftermarket transmission to best suit the 4.6, I just wanted to know if my idea was actually possible or if I am just dumb. Thank you and any feedback or advice would be much appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

Not an expert -but my guess would be the V6 parts car would not have the correct computer to swap in place of the current auto setup. And I'm pretty sure any computer change has to be flashed/programmed to the car?

Hope that helps
IMG_1838.PNG
lol

Its actually very possible my dad I did a trans swap on my 05 gt auto to manual. Do a parts list first step and get everything first! I did it all under 1200$;) the most important parts are the transmission ofcourse and the engine wire harness! I got both for 400 the guy threw in the wire harness which is the second most exoensive thing i was lucky. Brake and clutch peddal assembly i found online for cheap and a manual pcm for 100 bucks had the dealer flash it for 120 bucks. New clutch kit ofcourse. It was fun and well worth it for me my dad is a good mechanic so with his blessing we went forward with it i baskcally did the hydrolic line, engine harness, peddals and shifter myseld. My pops helped me out with the rest

Not the question tat you asked but I'll get to that piece.

Soooooo much cheaper, and easier to build up the auto that you have. It will also bring some fun that your OEM built transmission didn't have.

For the swap:

Pedals
clutch
flex-plate
Bell housing
throwout system (complete)
trans
GT computer for an automatic
Possibly a harness or portion of one
shift lever
shift lever cables
other electronics crap
whatever else I'm missing and can't think of

Of course it can be done but it's on my list as one of those pain in the ass pieces.

VERY SIMPLE. Listen up. For sale sign on your, look for a manual car

I would have to agree

Fix what you have or sell the car. Is the swap possible?Sure,plenty of people have done it. But it is the least cost effective of your 3 options: fix, swap, or sell. If you are going to go the donor car route, your donor has to be a correct 4.6 car otherwise you are making it harder om yourself,