Auto Trans Shifting Problems

87stang92sho

Active User
May 7, 2017
hi, i have a mustang gt 1987 with the AOD transmission. I finally got the car running great and tookit for a drive and shifted fine but once i got to about 60 mph the car was at 1500 rpm but once i came onto a hill the car went into 2 at 4,000 rpm and didn't really speed up much. Maybe I wasn't pressing the gas very hard but its like 3rd isn't there. I also noticed from a 10 mph roll then to WTFO the car didn't take off as fast as it used to and it didn't even spin the tires. Please any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

check to see if the throttle valve cable that controls the AOD shifting is still connected at the throttle body. They are held in place with a plastic bushing that often breaks, and the cable then hangs. You can easily fry an AOD in a short time with the cable disconnected Even if it is still there I would recommend replacing it with a brass/metal bushing and cotter pin

The other thing to check is

fluid level- if too low it will not shift properly
TV cable adjustment- if not properly adjusted it will not shift properly. If the line pressure is too low, it will have delayed shifts and you can fry the trans. If too tight it will cause the trans to shift to soon.

I strongly suggest having a transmission shop adjust the TV cable unless you have experience doing so, as the proper way is to hook up a line pressure gauge and adjust it to achieve proper pressure. A way to ballpark it is contained in the following video, it will get you to the shop

Reactions: 1 user
check to see if the throttle valve cable that controls the AOD shifting is still connected at the throttle body. They are held in place with a plastic bushing that often breaks, and the cable then hangs. You can easily fry an AOD in a short time with the cable disconnected Even if it is still there I would recommend replacing it with a brass/metal bushing and cotter pin

The other thing to check is

fluid level- if too low it will not shift properly
TV cable adjustment- if not properly adjusted it will not shift properly. If the line pressure is too low, it will have delayed shifts and you can fry the trans. If too tight it will cause the trans to shift to soon.

I strongly suggest having a transmission shop adjust the TV cable unless you have experience doing so, as the proper way is to hook up a line pressure gauge and adjust it to achieve proper pressure. A way to ballpark it is contained in the following video, it will get you to the shop

Have you checked the kickdown linkage?
I will check that which side of the tranny is the cable on? Drivers side im guessing

it should like like this

mump_1011_20_o+ford_automatic_overdrive_transmission_installation+aod_tv_cable_adjustment.jpg

get the proper brass bushing and cotter pin and have the TV cable properly set per the line pressure
what's the name of the nutswinger shop that did that hack job repair
I think the shop is ronnys, its in charlottesville Virginia. My grandmother owned this car from day one and she always took it to them that was something I noticed since ive started working on it for about 6 months now. I didn't know that went to the transmission. Do you think me buying the kit for everything for the cable from American muscle would work? And do you think this is why the tranny is acting up?

I don't know, I screwed up mine and it only took me 2 years to straighten it out but in my defense I was not a member of stangnet then and didn't have much time to work on it.
I stayed at a holiday inn express once and life has been much better ever since. :jester:

I don't know, I screwed up mine and it only took me 2 years to straighten it out but in my defense I was not a member of stangnet then and didn't have much time to work on it.
I stayed at a holiday inn express once and life has been much better ever since. :jester:
Well yes im learning as i go but I understand how majority of this car works but I just hope its this cable and that the tranny doesn't have to be rebuilt, i will order it tomorrow and i will let u guys know how it all works out