Automatic to manual...NOT a swap

fromadig91

Jul 27, 2008
I have found very little luck wile browsing the web with this question...but then again I don't know exactly what i'm looking for....i'll try to explain it. I have an automatic, for racing applications I know a manual is more ideal. Is it possible to make my auto a manual by swapping out the automatic valve body to a manual one, I mean I can shift from 1st to 2nd by dropping into 1 and 2....but is a swap the only answer? Whats a hurst shifter? and If i'm not mistaken the auto's are 4 speed. I know very little about transmissions and any insight on this situation would be great!

Thats what I was figuring, someone mentioned something about changing the automatic valve body to a manual valve body.....I would assume that is not possible as stated...totally different parts...but i'm not 100% on that

well i can understand y someone would like manual over auto, everytime i get in an auto i wana fall asleep from boredom, but i will say its no easy task to change to manual thats for sure

If I remember right one of the members on here has a built auto with stall that still functions as a automatic, but he can also push up on the shifter and down to upshift and downshift. If I had an auto, that is what I would do to it to wake it up....

as far as I know they don't make manual valve bodies for "modern" electronic transmissions like the aode and 4r70w. Truthfully, I'm not really hip on old ford (I'm actually a chevy guy *puts on flame suit*) and I can tell you from driving th350s and 400s that's it's not a joy at all with a manual valve body.

My DD is a Mustang GT with a T-45 (with pro 5.0 shifter) and it's worlds better than any clunky valve body swap. If you want to do manual, it's in your best interest to take that route.

That would be me. Although, I have a stage II shift kit and Jerry-modded spec valve body and accumulator recomendation using a B&M hammer shifter assembly strictly for the gear selection. He needs a full manual valvebody, as mentioned made by PA. Then you have essentially a manual transmission that can use a stall and shift faster than a manual gear-box but still weighs more and takes more of a drivetrain loss.

Why do you want this by the way? Once it's manual, it's manual always. I can chose dpending on what mood i'm in, but i'm limited by rpm windows set by the computer (which i can change via tune but am still limited to that setting).

Why would I want to do this? I'm just kinda board with auto, Manual is more entertaining/fun to drive in my opinion. The hammer shifter that cobra red has sounds like the direction I was kinda looking for. But i'm still pretty cloudy on the whole trans situation.

Manual valvebody is probably what you're looking for then - but i must say it does't quite feel like a manual. It's just different, but if more fun is the route you want its an option. Although not something I've seen anyone do on a daily driver that isn't putting down serious power and sees the track often.

built auto > built manual as far as drag racing is concerned

+1 I totally agree.

If you race often auto is more ideal IMO cause its more consistent.

Pertaining to your question, if I were in your shoes I'd just go with a tune/shift kit and stall. I'm not too aware of what the benefit of a shifter would be without a manual valve body. Thinking about it, I really dont find myself downshifting unless I need a lower gear which an auto does anyway.

A tune/shift kit and stall will surely wake the car up. IMO start with that; if you arent happy then spend the extra and go manual valvebody. At the least, many with an auto are happy with what a tuner itself can change - firmer shifts and adjustable shift points. Try that first.