5.0 swap 88 into 93

devinkeller2

May 30, 2023
I have a 93 2.3 manual and currently have the opportunity to pick up a good running donor car that is an 88 5.0 manual, but it has no title. Being new to this I’ve been looking everywhere for an answer to my question. I know the engine harness will have to be used but since the two years are fairly apart, will all of the wiring have to be swapped if I stay efi? I’m going to look at it sometime this week and need a solid answer before I spend some money on it.

• Sponsors (?)

Was a major wiring change in 1990, so the 90-93 wiring doesn't really plug and play with 87-89 wiring. It can certainly be done, but it would prob be easier for you to take all the mechanical parts off the 1988, but seek out engine harness wiring from a 1993 V8 car.

There is a bit more to it in that there are four different ECU harnesses depending on the year of the car it is getting swapped into. This thread is pretty much spot on for the information.

If you want mass air then the 88's ECU harness will not work as is due to it being speed density but you can mass air convert it. With that being said the 88 ECU harness will not physically plug into the dash harness on your 93 being there is one plug on your 93 and the 88 harness has two plugs. This has to do with the fuel pump relay being under the driver seat on the 88 and the fuel pump relay being in front of the passenger shock tower on a 93. You also need air bag connectors for the crash sensors on your car and the 88 will not have them.

You need a harness from a 92.5 to 93 car to make it a direct swap. I did this on my 93 and it was plug and play. Another thing you will not have in your car that the V8 cars have is the neutral gear switch on the T5. The four cylinder cars did not come with them from 91-93 and the V8 cars did. Read up on it here: