SN95 Automatic Transmission Pan Leak Around Bolts

cadman77

Apr 25, 2015
Hello,

I have a 1995 Mustang GT with an automatic transmission. I recently had a new transmission pan and gasket installed on the car. I bought an OEM pan and gasket. The shop torqued the bolts between 9-11 ft/lbs. This is what I asked for. Now I have transmission fluid leaking around some of the bolt heads. I checked the torque on the bolts and they are all around 10 ft/lbs. I thought about taking out one bolt at a time and cleaning them and putting them back in. I called a Ford garage and the service manager said he never experienced that issue. Any suggestions would be great!! Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Over tightened bolts cause divots in the pan right around the bolt holes. With the pan off you can run your finger over the gasket mating surface and usually feel the bumps around the bolt holes. You then take a ball peen hammer and carefully tap the bumps flat again. Sometimes it takes a little effort but usually not too much. Get everything as flat as you can around the bolts holes and it usually seals up pretty good. Maybe the shop who installed the gasket did not do this important step.

So even if they torqued the bolts properly, if the pan was damaged from previous over tightening, they should check for that and correct before installing pan.

Reactions: 1 user