Automatic Vs Manual Transmission

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I may be purchasing a used mustang soon and I can't decide on whether or not to get one with a manual, or automatic transmission. Finding a good car will not be a problem because there are many low-mileage 05-07 v6's at good prices in my area. My question is how are people's experiances with both of the transmissions? Is there a big difference in reliability? Does one handle the extra horsepower and torque produced from modifications better than the other? What are the most popular modifications to each of the transmissions?
Thanks for helping out a newb,​
-David​

• Sponsors (?)

If you are going to be spending enough on modifications to stress the transmissions, then you might as well start with a GT, since the economy has taken a dump, there are some good deals out there. There is nothing wrong with the V6 if that is what you want, but if you are worried about hurting the transmissions then i would guess that you want more power. As far as reliability, I have not really heard of anyone having a problem with either the manual or automatic. I think that a V6 would be a lot more fun with the manual though.