axle replacement questions. 8.8 rear axle

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
so wheres the fill plug on the other side of the pumpkin cover? and where are the c clips to pull the axles out ? i didnt see anything that looked like it came out, the 2 things on the outside of the pumpkin but there held in with big bolts then the s shaped looking thing in the center. what do i pull to replace the axles? wheres the magnet in there?

• Sponsors (?)

Fill plug is on the driver's side front of the diff...above the support rib

As for the C-clips Remove the cover and spin the gears til you see the bolt that holds the pin in. I beleive it's removed with a 10mm wrench. Remove it. You'll notice the crosspin will now slide in and out. Push it in about 1/2 and spin the gear 180degrees to the other side and remove it.

When the pin is out, DO NOT rotate the axle shafts unless you spin both together. If you turn one, you run the risk of the spider gears falling out.

Push 1 axle in at a time. Look inside where the crosspin was and you'll see the c-clip on the end. A magnet or long needlenose pliers makes removing it easy.

Installation is the opposite of removal.

It's a pretty easy job, but i suggest a shop manual if you are hesitant.

yes u pull that bolt. its been a long time but if i remember that small bolt out that pin will only go 1 way out. when u get the c clips out not a big deal but keep left on the left and right on the right side. i have a friend that worked at a rear end shop the last 2 years of school and he said they keep all the parts like that.

when u get that pin out the axles push in and the c clip come out some times they fall out sometime u need a mag to get them. yes the c clip is by the spider gears. u need to make sure that the spider gears done come out they are hard to get out but they can fall out.

so the s shaped clip thing inside the spider gears comes out right? you just pull that?

Nope, leave that in. All you remove is the bolt, and then the center pin. Once the pin is out, make sure you spin both rear tires together whenever you turn the differential around.

After the pin is out, push each axle in and you'll see the c-clips