Back into Mustangs after 18 years

tdeon221

Sep 14, 2020
Boston
Good evening guys,

My name is Tom and I'm new to the forum. I just bought a 1991 Bright Red LX 5.0 Convertible with the wife's blessings and picked it up tonight, after an 18 year absence from any fun cars. Needs some work but it's a solid rust-free Texas car and is remarkably original except for full sub frame connectors and shock tower brace (felt very solid driving). For some background my first Fox body was an 83 with the 232 V-6 (awful car), my second was a 1990 LX (thrashed when I got it) that went away when I started having kids. My 13 year old son and I picked it up and drove it home, drove well but first the right turn indicator on the dash went out, then the headlights, dash and backup lights went out when we got to the house. So the fun begins, I'll be checking the dimmer and headlight switches tomorrow for corrosion and melted wires, maybe check some grounds. Going in for a new top shortly, back glass is gone and some small holes in top. Look forward to tapping into the knowledge base here.

Thanks,
Tom D.

• Sponsors (?)

Your car sounds a lot like mine . Lets get some pictures up of that new car , and get to work.
I'll post some pictures shortly. Got the first box of parts from CJ Pony today. Keeping it original from an appearance standpoint. New cloth top going on in a few weeks, working on the electrical gremlins now. Glad these cars are easy to work on. I do want to put a supercharger on it in the future. the goal is around 425-450 hp. The usual route, exhaust, heads, stroke to 331 cu in., Vortech, etc.