bad compression, what to do?

5.0igottago

May 25, 2005
I jsut did a compression test on a 94 and came back with 100-105 all across, its burning 2 qts oil a week so i think that explians that.

My queiston is(im new to stang, im coming for a turbo talon so bear with me) im gonna pull and rebuild the motor what should i do with it while its out? i dont really see a point in putting a stock motor back in but what are my options piston wise? is stroking worth it? id be happy with a low 12 car and i really dont wanna supercharge it ( a lot of people here say they have trouble with a lot of stuff breaking once they do that) I only wanna spend around 2000 if i can but i dont ahve a problem putting more in if i have to, what would you guys do if it was you?

mods so far are: 24lbs injectors, 70mm TB, bigger mas(donno what kind i know its cheap and makes it run rich when its wramed up) Eldelbrock intake, trick flow intake space, pulleys, king cobra clutch, flow master cat back(no cats)

My other question is what can i do to fix it choking its self out when its warm? i was told i need to get a better MAS, what kind do i need to get?

and also what else would help me the most? i know gears but i like getting 17 miles to the gallon and i dont wanna spend the money on them when the motor needs that

sorry for the long post please help

• Sponsors (?)

Read everything you can on this and other sites...find what's working for others, and whats not. Find yourself a reputable builder..tell him what you want, tell him how much you have. Don't make one post and use the answers from a couple people direct you in your purchasing..take time read..then read...then read some more. Not to slam here but you need to decide what set up will work with your type of driving and perform the way you want it too.

im doing all my work my self, i have the tools, the know how, i jsut dont knwo what parts to put in it, i have no clue where to start, i want somehtign to drive to work everynow and than, track some, street a lot( gotta show her off) a good solid 12 sec car. i knwo this doesnt tell much

would stock pistons be good for this? higher compression? lower compression?

im really new at a N/A build up i want all motor no turbo s/c none of that i want all throttle

go with forged internal's.........piston's are up to you, you gonna run a power adder? low compression. You gonna go naturally aspirated, high compression.
Carb or fuel injection? fuel injection in my opinion is really safe to work within and will give you 12's..........a carb, well if you know how to tune it, you will really be kickiin ass.........cam, just do a search here on the site and see what other's are doin for thier cam selection.........i have a twinturbo car, and was runnin an f cam.......goin to a stock cam right now..........

hotwheels of insanemustangs

I wanna go N/A with injection

i could go with carb tho my dad is good with that kidna thing im more about computre stuff tho, cuz its accurate and kinda simple

i really jsut wanna know what works for everyone esle, ive secrhed and i dont really come up with anyhtigngood i jsut want people to tell me where to spend moeny and on what

what kind of machine work is required on these for a stroker? If i do that will it still be fairly relaible for soem daily use? what all do i need for 36lb injector?(like MAS compture stuff liek that) Sorry for all the qeustions im just new

do a stroker build up.

i built my whole stroker for about 3500-4000 with a brand new shortblock, ported aluminum heads/intake, cam, ect.

look at www.coasthigh.com for an idea of prices. if you buy a shortblock from them, its like 1800 and all the machine work/rotating assembly is complete. you just throw on the oil pan and top half of the motor and drop it in.

you have an edelbrock intake? which one? im using ported performer rpm heads and intake, with a custom/shelf comp cam and its very streetable and i think a 12 second car if driven right.

this is my only car, and it runs reliable as it did before. i stuck with a 331 to avoid any potential problems with the 347 strokers. lots say they fixed the flaws with them, but i didnt want to take the risk.

about switching injectors, you will just need injectors and a new mass air meter calibrated for them. 36# seems a little big to me for an n/a 331/347. i use 24# injectors and dont have any problems.

i have the preformer intake,

when i bought the car he said he put a cheap MAS on it and thats why it chokes its self out after its warm, what would be the best one to buy to fix thsi problem, when you first start it it ahs no proablem putting you back in the seat and hitting 100mph no problem, but after its up to normal when you lay in it, she studders a lil bit and will not do over about 5000 rpm's does this sound like a mas would cause this?