Bad wheel bearing???

2002MineralGray

Feb 13, 2008
Ok I tried searching the forums for a thread similar to what I was experiencing but I had no luck. I noticed that my car began making strange noises this winter. When I put the car in reverse I noticed as I pull out of my parking spot the car kind of makes a slight howling sound as I roll to a stop (no brakes applied). Its not that loud but its loud enough to hear it from inside the car. After that I put it in drive and pull away and its fine. No noise on the road or anything. Could this be a bad wheel bearing by any chance? It sounds like it is coming from the rear driver's side but Im not 100% sure. Since spring is coming I noticed that on days when it is 40 degrees or higher there is no noise. But when it is 30 degrees or below I can hear the noise.

I also noticed that the car sometimes pulls to the right when I am braking to a stop only going down hill. The wheel actually turns about a quarter ways to the right when I brake to a stop going down this one particular hill on my way to work that has a stop light at the bottom. I read that the car pulling to one side could be the wheel bearing. I don't think any of my calipers are sticking. Any help would be greatly apprieciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

i'm going to say a caliper is sticking. so even if your not on the brakes, it still applying them and your getting that howling sound. Also explains why it could pull to one side when you apply your brakes

On an older car I had I would get a very mild howling sound from the rear end,more so in reverse,found that it was a chipped gear in the rearend.+1 on the sticking caliper or also could be unevenly worn rotors or pads.Also had a similar problem on an older car with a worn ball joint that would cause it to pull to the right when braking.Anyways just some things to check.

The car pulling to the right when braking could also be the car tracking or following the crown of the road (they tend to slope to the right to drain water away).

There are plenty of roads where i live where the car will pull right if i brake due to this.

The noise could also be the rear brakes. Do you hear any other noise while driving? A bad bearing would typically continue to make noise.

The car pulling to the right when braking could also be the car tracking or following the crown of the road (they tend to slope to the right to drain water away).

There are plenty of roads where i live where the car will pull right if i brake due to this.

The noise could also be the rear brakes. Do you hear any other noise while driving? A bad bearing would typically continue to make noise.

+1