Fox Basic Tools For A Trip

Scott7512

May 19, 2015
Branchland WV
Heading to mustang week this year for the first time from southern West Virginia. The car has never left me stranded or made me worry about getting home on 100 mile trips since having it three years now. It has 71k on it now with most wear items replaced. My question is what basic tools do I need to have with me for the 7 hour trip? What tool kits do other members have on hand?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a basic toolbox for around the house that I can chuck in the car. Has sockets, Allen wrenches, basic hand tools, extensions, a multimeter, etc.

Mustang specific tools? Spare TFI and the little wrench for it. Maybe a breaker bar and extension that fits your lugs. Small jack?

Of course make sure you have a spare in good shape. Full size if driving a long distance.

I carry a flash light, a hydraulic jack, a tire iron, a test light, phillips screw driver, flat head screw driver, vise grips, a 3/8 ratchet set w/ 1/4 inch adapter and sockets, a couple 3 inch extensions, spark plug socket, and a swivel.

Walmart sells a jack in a plastic molded case...Duralast makes a decent tool set...plus they have a lifetime warranty.

As long as your tires and fluid levels are OK you should be fine.

I've been through some wild stuff. My clutch quadrant broke at the SC GA line, I drove it back to Maryland with no clutch. My AC line blew one year at Mustang Week and I fixed it at the local Advance Auto and kept rolling. The throttle cable broke in VA and I drove my car with shoe strings tied to the throttle body.

You should be fine. Its better this year because it'll be cooler in September. 100 degree days can be hard on an old
car.