Basic Wiring Questions - Flame Thrower - Electric Choke

palerider94

Feb 21, 2006
Put a new flame thrower on and have a couple basic questions. Just want to preface this with I'm a little new at this stuff as previous post can testify to.

I read on the Holley install intructions to not hook electric choke with Coil + wire. So I hooked the postive on electric choke to solenoid positive and ran flame thrower to another igniton wire. One thing since I did this I notice when the car is warm on a couple occasions the starter seems to turn over slowly - still fire up right away - but seems to be slower crank. Only seems to do when warm. Just a coincidence - or do I have something else going out - starter maybe (have new solenoid and voltage regulator)?

Also another probably stupid question but I was testing wires on flame thrower and lit the tester up on both the + and - of coil when I had the igntion on and grounded to battery - I'm assuming this is the way it's suppose to be just kind of threw me off.

• Sponsors (?)

Dont wire up a electric chock to 12 volts, Wire it up to a max of 7 volts. If your running a stock alt you can get 7 volts from this. Your starter is getting hot and when they get hot it slows down and will soon burn out. Check the cables to see if there good and large enough to handle the load. if you run headers then a heat shield is in order. I just run a high torque starter and have had NO problems at all.

TOM B said:
Dont wire up a electric chock to 12 volts, Wire it up to a max of 7 volts. If your running a stock alt you can get 7 volts from this. Your starter is getting hot and when they get hot it slows down and will soon burn out. Check the cables to see if there good and large enough to handle the load. if you run headers then a heat shield is in order. I just run a high torque starter and have had NO problems at all.

My Demon's manual specifies to connect the electric choke to a positive 12 volt source.

One little detail I left out was I changed intake gaskets this weekend and had someone reset timing for me. They said they advanced it 10 degrees. Could that cause to overheat also?