Battery in trunk questions

I'm thinking about mounting the battery in the trunk but I have a couple concerns. At the moment I have a holley electric fuel pump mounted in the trunk compartment. It doesnt leak or anything but that in combination with the filler neck there is a slight odor of gas in the trunk. Will the battery being in the trunk create any kind of fire hazard? I'm planning on getting an optima battery and a sealed box...just want to be safe about it. Let me know if I'm just being paranoid :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I'd replace the filler neck rubber and clamps first. Give the area a good cleaning and see if the smell continues. Battery in trunk or not, having gas fumes is not good.

Even though there are not normally sparks, you'll occasionally be connecting and disconnecting the battery or possibly using jumper cables. You sure don't want to ignite anything. :eek:

65kcoupe said:
I'm thinking about mounting the battery in the trunk but I have a couple concerns. At the moment I have a holley electric fuel pump mounted in the trunk compartment. It doesnt leak or anything but that in combination with the filler neck there is a slight odor of gas in the trunk. Will the battery being in the trunk create any kind of fire hazard? I'm planning on getting an optima battery and a sealed box...just want to be safe about it. Let me know if I'm just being paranoid :shrug:

Why do you have the fuel pump in the trunk? The first thing you need to do is get rid of the gas smell in the trunk. It is not liquid gas that explods, it's the fumes! The smell means you have fumes... Not a good situation, and it will be made worse by moving the battery to the trunk.

The previous owner put it in there for some reason...I just havent gotten around to moving it. Where would be a good place to mount it? Aren't electric pumps supposed to be close to the tank? The filler neck hose is only a couple years old but I guess it could use replacement.

69 Rustang said:
Most of the electrics I have seen are under the car behind the rear axle--but definitely not inside the trunk. That should be your first priority.

Bingo again!

Behind the rear axle is the best place for fuel pumps and large FRAM type fuel filters. If you get hit hard enough to damage this placement you will not have too worry about it!

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com/tech.html

With the factory design the ONLY place fuel vapor can get into the trunk from is the filler neck. The tank is sealed against the floor of the trunk via caulk, and the exit from the pickup is outside the car. So if you have fuel vapor inside the trunk it has to be from the filler tube or there's a hole in the metal tank.

Hmmm...I just read further and you have an electric pump INSIDE the trunk...that's some bad PO juujuu there. Get it out ASAP.

It sounds like your previous owner was some what lacking in the safety concerns department. That makes me wonder if an inertia shut off switch was installed. This turns off the fuel pump in the event of an accident. Without one the pump can continue to supply fuel to a fire until the car is totally burned down. You should be able to get the switch from a junk yard or auto parts store. To read about the switch check out
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/InertiaSwitch.html
Plus you can rig the switch to be an anti theft device
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/41.shtml
Here is what one for a 97 Mustang looks like ~$52 from rockautoparts.com
FV7.jpg

The inertia switch is also called a fuel shutoff solenoid.

Please give this post serious consideration.

I'm definitely gonna move the pump or just change to a high volume mechanical pump. The car isn't driveable at the moment so I have some time to think about it. If I keep the electric pump I will definitely be getting an inertia switch, thanks guys for all the advice

hopefully you can see the bracket in the top left area . . .
716312_14_full.jpg

It also says in the instructions that the pump is supposed to be mounted below the tank.

Either way, like everyone said, fumes is never a good thing. I have a fuel cell/battery and push-pull switch in the trunk, I would be a nervous wreck if I could smell gas in the trunk.

wow, some really good info here. I am also moving my battery to the trunk and am installing fuel injection on my 351W, I knew that the fuel pump had to be under the car, but reading this convinced me to add a gasket between my new tank and frame, it did'nt have one when I removed the old and I figured what the heck, might as well be extra safe.

Anyway, reason for my post is to ask what type of battery trays or brackets those of you who installed Optima batteries used. I've run across a few and have seen the expensive billet aluminum ones, but I'm not sure I want to spend over a hundred bucks on a glorified battery tray that won't get seen very much.

I agree totally with the fact that a fuel pump in the trunk is a terrible idea at best, if not a death wish. However, I would also like to mention, for the sake of being fairly comprehensive, that you can also smell gas fumes in the car oftentimes if you have a leaking donut gasket, etc. A leaking donut gasket or manifold/header will cause exhaust/gas fumes to enter through the vents, making you think you have a fuel leak. Regardless, though, get your fuel pump out of the trunk and go from there.