Battery relocation - where to run pos cable

• Sponsors (?)

On cars Ive installed high end stereo's in that required 0 guage wire for the amps I ran it under the car along the frame rails. Just remember to protect the wire and make sure it is totally and completely out of harms way under there. Check any and all clearences and wrap the wire in a good plastic cover then wrap that in some all weather tape. I cant remember the name of the stuff but its a black cloth-like tape. I used to get it from Ace Hardware. Once the wire is wrapped and routed I used some thin metal wire and a pair of needle nose pliers to tie the cable down and keep it tucked under and safe.

If ya do it right and take your time running it under the car is as safe as in the car and usually alot easier if your running thick wire (hiding 0 guage is next to impossible alot of the time..). With the all weather tape it also blends in well with the rest of the chasis which keeps it all stock and normal looking.

Ran mine down the middle of the car, along the drivers side of the driveshaft hump, underneath the carpet. Ran any stereo related wires under the carpet on the opposite side of the floor, along the outside edges of the seats. No problems or electrical interference what so ever. :nice:

On the subject.....Will IHRA give you beef during tech if you have one of those Summit/Jegs brand plastic boxes? I know Moroso sells the real nice metal ones, but they are like $200. The plastic one would do me just fine, but i want to make sure its legal at the track before i buy one.

ImportEater98 said:
On the subject.....Will IHRA give you beef during tech if you have one of those Summit/Jegs brand plastic boxes? I know Moroso sells the real nice metal ones, but they are like $200. The plastic one would do me just fine, but i want to make sure its legal at the track before i buy one.

I believe you only have to have the sealed units if you rare running a hatchback. It keeps the battery fumes from getting inside the drivers area.

RIXX93GT said:
I believe you only have to have the sealed units if you rare running a hatchback. It keeps the battery fumes from getting inside the drivers area.
Thats what I did in my GT. I had a friend make it out of stainless and put a vent tube on the bottom of it. Then just ran a hose out of the car where he factory rubber grommet is. Used the other factory grommet for the NOS vent.
581377_45_full.jpg

i use the Moroso blue box ($99) in my hatch. its great, comes with the little vents and everything. the techs have no problem with it at all. i ran my positive wire inside the car up the driver side, just made sure that i ran all my speaker wires on the opposite side. im debating putting a kill switch inline with the POS under my dash.

393Bird said:
I just finished moving mine to the trunk, along with a fuel cell.

bird-nov27.jpg

I ran the cable between the seat and the door, and used a feed through connector to go through the fire wall.

firewallfeed.jpg

That feed through is cool but if that is primary wire, I see many possibilities of a short to ground, especially in an accident or using a wrench next to it.

Does the feed through have a cover?

I usually run my large wire through a grommet on the firewall with no break in the wire, front to back. Always a loss of voltage when you have breaks/splices in a high current wire.

I ran mine behind the back seat to the driver's side, under the carpet (took the door sill off to install), through the big rubber grommet around the steering column to the engine bay. I just did not like the idea of wires under the car waiting for a stray rock or whatever to cut the covering...

Wow that looks trick! I like the location of the t handle for the shut off. I see thats a tbird, but i wonder if i can do the same on my lx? I didn't want to put the shut of switch drilled through my freshly painted bumper and i didn't want it under the car by the fuel lines....that would work perfect. Anyone else mount thiers taht way? And is this true taht i can go with the plastic box if its in a trunk car as opposed to a hatch?