BBK Long tube headers, questions

99FiveOh

10 Year Member
May 20, 2006
J-Ville, FL
I'm getting a great deal on a set of longtube headers, and I figured since i'm gonna be swapping in a new motor soon, I can install them then.

My question is, how much more power do they make than shorties, realistically? Sound difference?

Also, I can't seem to find a short H pipe in the Summit catalog for 94/95's that work with the 94/95 headers, what have you guys done to make it work? Can my H pipe I just bougt from Summit be modified to work with the longtubes?

I'm new to long tubes territory!

In all honesty

If talking WOT or Peak Power

LT's and Shortys will not be radically different

Where LT's really shine is on a NA application :Word:

Their longer primary tubes and true collector promote scavenging

They yield more low and mid range torque than shortys

Grady

Grady hit it dead on. To get max power you'd want LTs with collectors instead of the ball system our stock exhaust and most aftermarket has, I wish I had LTs on both my cars, but ah well.... my 65 will get all the nice parts like that once she's ready to be worked on

I noticed these BBK LT's have a ball collector on them, is that a bad thing? Is there any power to be had by cutting the ball collector off and welding flanges on? Just seems redundant to design a header and defeat it's purpose by putting ball collectors on it..lol

The ball and socket collector seals much better than the old flat flange
style collector which uses a gasket

Does the b&c collector offer more restriction

I would have to say ... YES

Then again ... For a typical Street Car NA combo at 300 or less

My gut feeling would be moving over to the flat flange collector
would only yield a handful of ponies so I don't think they hinder
such a combo too much

Now ... If we are talking Stroker of Power Adder

Of course ... The b&c will offer more restriction

Grady

Isnt scavenging a bad thing? IIRC its when exhaust gases travel back up through the intake valve? So if they promote it wouldnt that be a down side? Or am I thinking of something else?

-Justin

I can't be sure Justin, but what you describe sound likes reversion

Scavenging is where the exhaust pulse from one cylinder can actually
pull the e pulse from another thus helping to extract more waste
from the e system

Shortys are too short and they really don't have a collector designed
to promote scavenging

Grady

i notice a big difference when i went from mac shorties/h-pipe to my bbk long tubes/dr. gas x-pipe. don't have dyno proven results but SOTP meter says it was a big difference, but i'm sc'ed.

Yes you are right grady. I got mixed up somehow,lol, reversion was what i was thinking of. No wonder i was confused. Well thanks for clearing that up for me!

So i should definately go with the LTs then. Now, what are all the negatives of having them? LIke what can I do to minimize the bad side effects, such as melting items close by.. Thanks for all the replies!

I just found out the LT's that are for sale are Fox ones! this is great news because from what I've read they fit better, and since I have a Fox T5 setup in my car, I don't have to worry about the clutch fork hitting the headers.

What do I do about the O2 sensors? I know they won't reach anymore, is there a good place to get extensions for them or is it easier to just cut and splice.. thanks guys...