BBK Long Tubes and H-Pipe

callmedrlove

Jan 25, 2007
If you've read my other two threads, you probably know that I'm not the most knowledgeable car guy. I've only had my cobra for a little under 3 years, and haven't really done anything with it. But anyhow, here's my question. When I bought the car the guy I bought it from had been planning some mods and had bought some BBK long tube headers and an H-pipe. I'm the only person in my family that never really got into cars until I got older, and as such my brother works in a shop. I read about installation and it didn't seem like it would be too hard to install these, so I wanted to give it a shot, and wanted his help. His advice was that I shouldn't install them, as they were just a headache to deal with and would cause all sorts of problems. So what would you guys do? I don't want to cause myself undue hassle, but should I just ignore his advice and have someone else install them? I half way think he told me that to keep from having to help me install them lol. Right now the headers and exhaust are just sitting in a box in my garage, where they've been for almost 3 years.

BTW thanks to everyone on this forum, yall are really helpful. It's greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

he's right, total pain in the a$$...you should mail that stuff to me...:D

some of the guys that have them will chime in as far as installing them ( I use shorties) but if I had them I'd install them...lot of guys reap their benefits

he's right, total pain in the a$$...you should mail that stuff to me...:D

some of the guys that have them will chime in as far as installing them ( I use shorties) but if I had them I'd install them...lot of guys reap their benefits

+1
if you've got 'em use 'em :D you'll feel a slight difference in your ass dyno and you'll get a nice sound too.

They are a bit of a hassle to get in, but it's pretty straight forward. It's not a hard job, just time consuming. You have to unbolt each motor mount one at a time and jack up the engine to get them in (It's just one bolt, not that hard). You also have to disconnect the steering shaft, also just one bolt. You have to relocate the high pressure A/C line on the passenger side. It's not that big of a deal either. The headers will fit in with the A/C line in the stock location, but the headers will melt the line. This isn't hard either. All you have to do is go up under the passenger side wheel well, and drill a hole in the inner fender. Then pull the clip out that holds the line up in the middle, bend the line up a little and attach it with a bolt. It sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't. I've done the longtube install at least a dozen times. Your stock O2 sensors won't reach with the new location. You can get extendors, or lengthen the pigtail yourself. Ods are, your stock O2 sensors are due for a change anyway. Just replace them with O2 sensors for a 92' Ford Explorer V6, and they will fit. The longtubes are definately worth the power gain.

Kurt

Your stock O2 sensors won't reach with the new location. You can get extendors, or lengthen the pigtail yourself. Odds are, your stock O2 sensors are due for a change anyway. Just replace them with O2 sensors for a 92' Ford Explorer V6, and they will fit. The longtubes are definately worth the power gain.

Besides the fact that the O2 sensors won't reach the new location, why replace them with 92 Explorer V6 sensors?

Besides the fact that the O2 sensors won't reach the new location, why replace them with 92 Explorer V6 sensors?

Almost all O2 sensors are basically the same. The only differences are the pigtail length, and the type of connector at the end. the O2 sensors for a 92' Ford Explorer V6 (3.0 or 4.0 doesn't matter, both the same) have the same connector as a 94'-94' Mustang, and have the exact pigtail length you need for longtubes. The driver's sides is a little longer than the passenger side, which works out perfectly for an SN-95 if you're connector is attached to the oil pan flange in the stock location on the driver's side.

Kurt

my pass side o2 took a crap on me so i bought the american muscle replacement (who would have thought huh :D ), it was the exact length needed without an extender. throwing that out there. didn't try it on the driver's side, but its probably the proper length as well.