Been Awhile Since My Last Stereo Build

marvinmycat

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2002
Buffalo, NY
It's been awhile since I last built a kick @$$ stereo. Right now I'm looking at some Alpine component 5 1/4's and 6X9's. They're pretty much both rated at 120 Max and 50 RMS. What amp rating should I be going with to drive these speakers?

As a general rule, what should I look at with other types of speaker/amp combinations?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Most of the time, you can go a little above the RMS rating without running into problems, but like 4.6litre said, ignore that max rating. Aim for something close to the RMS, and you should be good to go.

Thanks guys. I totally trust Alpine as they were one of the first companies to actually list their products with true power ratings. I was only asking as after putting a system together on their site, I was somewhat surprised to see that they were actually recommending an amp with slightly less power than the RMS of the four speakers.

I was wondering how much of a difference there would be between 6X9 and 5X7. I always figured bigger is better for door speakers. Which ever is better, I'm not beyond cutting up my rear panel boxes to get 6X9's to fit. You should see some of the stuff I've done to cars to get speakers to fit! I only wish that we had digital cameras back then or I'd have posted them already. :(

Ok, my head hurts again.

If I run 2 12" Type-R Series Subwoofer (4ohm + 4ohm) <- that's DVC right?
• Power Handling Capacity (Peak) : 1000W
• Power Handling Capacity (RMS) : 300W

and have this amp:
V12 AccuClass-D™ Mono Amplifier
• 250W x 1 RMS (2ohm;@12V 1% THD+N)
• 150W x 1 RMS (4ohm;@12V 1% THD+N)

Will this work? And even though I read the sticky, I'm not getting the series and parallel wiring. When refering to series, it is the Amp + to the + Left sub, then - Left sub to the + Right sub, then + Right sub to the Amp - ?

I'm confused as to which way to go anyway, series or parallel with this combination. Someone fire up some MSPaint and draw me a pic!

Thanks!!!!

Never mind, found it!

attachment.php

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    73.4 KB · Views: 143