Beeping! Need Help!!

302-66

Founding Member
Dec 12, 2000
Waco, Tx.
Today my 93 2.3 started something new, when you first start it and when you are cruising in od there is a beep that sounds like it is coming from behind the dash. It is not a beep like a door open or seat belt, but sounds like the beep when you hold a key on a keyboard down to long. It beeps once when you turn it on, and up to (mostly) five times at cruise. The only (good) idea I have had thrown my way is a charging system problem. Has anyone had this happen before? Any Ideals?
Thanks
Mike

• Sponsors (?)

it is possible that it is a fault with your air bag system.
the systems are designed so if the warning light is not working then it will sound an audible beep as a warning to the driver that the air bag system is not working
hope it helps
gtss:canada:

That is always a possibility. Some suggestions of mine:

Your front speakers are up on the dash, your radio could have some weird issue going on with it. Disconnect the radio and drive it around for a while.

Sometimes speedometers make weird noises. Mine will make odd noises occasionally.

The cowl trim could be rubbing or squeaking on the windshield. I have actually had this happen numerous times.

If you leave your fan on, it could be a squeak in the fan motor being funneled across inside the air duct.

Your car is infested with robots.

I think gtss has the right answer... airbag system. Did your airbag light use to come on sometimes, and now it no longer does? It might be that you have an air bag fault and the light burned out and the beeping is a secondary warning system. I once temporarily disabled the air bag system on my crown vic and if I ran the car long enough while ignoring the air bag light, it would beep just like you describe. And it was loud enough to scare the crap out of me the first time it happened!

My other thought is did you or maybe a previous owner install an alarm system that might be having a fit?

aftermarket alarm system could very well be the problem. if you don't have one, nevermind. but, i've installed several models that do a self test upon power-up and give audible beeps to indicate a bad zone or function. and would continue to do so while powered up. other than that i wouldn't have a clue. SRS issue sounds good to me.

Ok, Finally got my lazy butt off the couch and checked it out, it is coming from a blue box located behind the hvac controls. I know it is not the radio or alarm, but my blinker are not working, so I think it is them. I do not have a owners manuel, but the beeping stops when you pull fuse 18 out. What all does this fuse go to, and while were at it, what does 16 go to.
Thanks
Mike

Blue box? Beeping at startup? That's the airbag controller. If your airbag light isn't flashing. (It'll start flashing after the beeping quits), then the bulb may be blown. If that's not it, the controller has failed. I removed mine until I could find a replacement. Now the light stays on all the time, but it doesn't really bother me. There's an outfit on ebay that sells em, I just haven't bought one. I keep hoping to get lucky at a junkyard.

StangGT, thanks for the link, looks like I have found my problem.

So if I change the bulb the beeping will stop and the bulb will blink? I read that it is normally the clock spring, which would be ok. I too am about to sell my car ( need money for my 86) and want to get this fixed first.

Mine went from beeping to clicking.

The blinking light is actually a trouble code. Count the blinks. I think 6 blinks is a clock spring. Ten is an internal fuse fault in the controller. The fuse can't be replaced. You have to change the controller.