Beeps in reverse?

stanmckinney

10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
I installed an upgraded instrument cluster in my car. I now hear a beep whenever the car is in reverse. No one have I read that such a beep is part of the upgraded cluster. Is it?
By the way, I got my cluster for a good price but had to pay $120 to have it installed and the computer reflashed. Sounded expensive to me.
Also, I was told they had to partially remove the console to install it. Is that correct?
They scratched my emergency brake handle and are replacing it.
Despite all that, the upgraded cluster is great. I love all the features of the information center. My Color I can take or leave.
I'm just wondering about the beep I keep hearing in reverse.

• Sponsors (?)

All I can say is that it is the upgraded cluster and works just great. But I do hear a beep in reverse and I did not hear it before the cluster was installed. I got mine from my dealer -- $228 for the cluster and about $34 for the switch.
Also, the info on the cluster seems to be a bit different than listed in my owner's manual. Anyone else notice that the displays don't match what's in the manual?

I'm not technically skilled enough to do an audio recording and post it. A video would SHOW nothing. Trust me, it beeps in reverse whether there's a bulldozer around or not.
Did someone else get this feature too, for real?
I can't decide if I like it or am annoyed by it.

a video with sound would show us all what we need; just the sound is not convincing; get it done tomorrow; a digital camera with a 30 second video will do; looking forward to it; i wanna get one for my car

Take it back to the dealership and have them turn it off.

You're not the first I've heard of this happening to.
Its on all the 05s, but not turned on by default.

Someone else threw that cluster on, had it beep in reverse, and took it back...
...the computer has a bunch of settings in it, and thats one of them....

Unfornately, its not something you can turn off by yourself

The dealership can turn it off. There are a bunch of user preferences that can be changed in the PCM at the dealer that most people are unaware of. For example, you can have your keyless entry unlock both doors with one button press or only the driver side door. Im not sure exactly what is changeable on 05 'Stangs though. Just have the dealer reflash your computer and that should remedy the problem. On newer GM's, if you replace a window switch or something like that, the PCM has to 'learn' it. Its crazy stuff I tell ya.

The beep in reverse is an Odometer tampering warning.

What is causing it is most likely that the mileage in the new IC does not match the mileage in the main PCM.

Your dealer can fix this by downloading the correct PCM mileage into the IC.

If it is a tampering warning why would it only do it in reverse? I'm not certain I mind the beep in reverse, I just wanted to do if it is a feature or something strange has happened.