Before And After Realistic Hp And Torque Estimates

Bob F

May 14, 2015
Roscoe IL
I currently have a speed density 5 speed 88 GT vert with a 4.10 gear. It has stock intake with 1/2' spacer, heads, and cam, 70mm TB and EGR, MAC CAI, March pullys, MSD coil, cap, and rotor, BBK shorties, off road h pipe, dynomax ultra flo cat back and 14* timing. Soon I will be installing Cobra intake with 1" spacer and tmoss ported lower, GT40P heads with Trickflow spring upgrade, 1.7 rockers, New 4 hole 19lb injectors, BBK adj. pressure regulator, Aeromotive 340 fuel pump, and Ford aluminum driveshaft. I have never had it on a dyno but I'm going to have before and after runs done.
I'm totally guessing but I'm thinking before hp around 205-215 and after around 250-260. I have no idea on torque. I know a lot of you guys know more about this than I do so what do you guys think? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

take off the U/D pulleys. complete waste of money and not worth the 5hp at 5000 rpm for the cooling and charging problems.

If it were me I'd not bother with those parts and put a nitrous kit on it. Save up for some alumnum heads, a good cam, and a MAF conversion. You're gonna spend over $1000 and not be happy with the results.

Best case scenario 260-275 fwhp and probably 300 tq. That set up under optimal conditions is worth 50 or so HP. I saw no mention of cam which I highly advise doing at this point. Since your basically taking it down to a short block. That will net you some extra power. Given drive train loss I would expect anywhere in the 240-250 wheel area. Doesn't sound like much but you will be in your peak power band by 2500 rpm. It's a good setup for a car that sees regular street use.

Reactions: 1 user
Best case scenario 260-275 fwhp and probably 300 tq. That set up under optimal conditions is worth 50 or so HP. I saw no mention of cam which I highly advise doing at this point. Since your basically taking it down to a short block. That will net you some extra power. Given drive train loss I would expect anywhere in the 240-250 wheel area. Doesn't sound like much but you will be in your peak power band by 2500 rpm. It's a good setup for a car that sees regular street use.

He is still SD, and would need to run a SD cam, which are very mild.

take off the U/D pulleys. complete waste of money and not worth the 5hp at 5000 rpm for the cooling and charging problems.

If it were me I'd not bother with those parts and put a nitrous kit on it. Save up for some alumnum heads, a good cam, and a MAF conversion. You're gonna spend over $1000 and not be happy with the results.
I was gonna do a mild 5-6lb. Vortech kit. To do it right with MAF and big injectors would have been $5500. And I would still have 28 yr old gaskets, heads etc. I actually have a nitrous kit, but I'm gonna sell it. This combo is for this year, and it allowed me to also get the driveshaft, Stiffler's spider brace, and SWARR rear diff brace.

I was gonna do a mild 5-6lb. Vortech kit. To do it right with MAF and big injectors would have been $5500. And I would still have 28 yr old gaskets, heads etc. I actually have a nitrous kit, but I'm gonna sell it. This combo is for this year, and it allowed me to also get the driveshaft, Stiffler's spider brace, and SWARR rear diff brace.

Not sure of the relevance of your response. You will get maybe 50-60 hp for all the moey and effort, grow tired of it, and take it all off in a year and do it again.

1000's of guys run nitrous on these cars with zero problems.

Good luck with your build..

Damn computer, I wasn't finished! I was also able to get 130 amp alternator, taillights and a few other minor things and still be just a little over budget. When I sell the nitrous kit, Hurst line lock, e fan, Moroso tank and torque box kit I will be actually under budget. Next year I will do nice heads, cam, MAF, big injectors and sell the GT40's. If money is good I will also supercharge it then. Underdrive pulleys have always worked great for me, no charging or cooling issues. Of course when I supercharge it they will come of and I will sell those. I really appreciate everyone sharing info cause we all have the Fox body Mustang addiction!

Not sure of the relevance of your response. You will get maybe 50-60 hp for all the moey and effort, grow tired of it, and take it all off in a year and do it again.

1000's of guys run nitrous on these cars with zero problems.

Good luck with your build..
I ran 100hp Nitrous on my 89 LX It ran 12.7 @108 on street tires. Stock intake, cam, heads, 3.55 gears, pulleys, shorty header, off road h pipe, flowmasters. I am not afraid to run nitrous, I just know the money I would spend on it this year will pay for a lot of next years stuff.:nice:

if the car is low miles and in excellent tune the I can see it making every bit of 215. Mine when stock save for ud pullies and an offroad H made 218.
I don't see it getting up handy to 260 without a cam swap... 240-250...

Last edited:
I would guess around 200 as it is and 250 with purposed mods. The speed density cars actually tend to make a little more power than MAF cars when they are in the Bolt on stage. Once you start going with increased airflow and bumpity cams...there are issues.

Personally I would have skipped the gt40 stage and saved for next years plans. You're going to be limited by these choices going forward. If you're never going beyond that stage and just want a nice little bump in power with good manners, then you'll be fine.

I currently have a speed density 5 speed 88 GT vert with a 4.10 gear. It has stock intake with 1/2' spacer, heads, and cam, 70mm TB and EGR, MAC CAI, March pullys, MSD coil, cap, and rotor, BBK shorties, off road h pipe, dynomax ultra flo cat back and 14* timing. Soon I will be installing Cobra intake with 1" spacer and tmoss ported lower, GT40P heads with Trickflow spring upgrade, 1.7 rockers, New 4 hole 19lb injectors, BBK adj. pressure regulator, Aeromotive 340 fuel pump, and Ford aluminum driveshaft. I have never had it on a dyno but I'm going to have before and after runs done.
I'm totally guessing but I'm thinking before hp around 205-215 and after around 250-260. I have no idea on torque. I know a lot of you guys know more about this than I do so what do you guys think? Thanks.

My 95 GTS 5.0 did 236rwhp and 295rwtq with just: CAI, 70mm TB, ASP under drive pulleys, BBK Shorty Headers, O/R H Pipe, Accel Coil,no cats and egr delete to exhaust dumps with a sct chip dyno with wide band. So you should be making 270+ with your setup.

I would guess around 200 as it is and 250 with purposed mods. The speed density cars actually tend to make a little more power than MAF cars when they are in the Bolt on stage. Once you start going with increased airflow and bumpity cams...there are issues.

Personally I would have skipped the gt40 stage and saved for next years plans. You're going to be limited by these choices going forward. If you're never going beyond that stage and just want a nice little bump in power with good manners, then you'll be fine.
I know what you and a lot of guys are saying about skipping this stage and saving for more, but I already enjoy the car the way it is, so I know I will like another 50hp. I also might breakdown and hook up the nitrous (just 50 or 75 hp). Plus I have a problem "saving" money LOL!

I know what you and a lot of guys are saying about skipping this stage and saving for more, but I already enjoy the car the way it is, so I know I will like another 50hp. I also might breakdown and hook up the nitrous (just 50 or 75 hp). Plus I have a problem "saving" money LOL!
Don't we all! Ha! These cars tend to take care of our "savings". Lol

Reactions: 1 users