Beginner Questions

ISUrb33

Jul 15, 2006
Longview TX
Part 1: I plan on buying the Trick Flow Street Heat Kit ( Intake, Stage 1 Cam, Heads, Roller Rockers, Push Rods, and Timing Chain ) for my 95 Mustang GT when I get home from college. I also plan on getting a C&L 76mm mass air meter and BBK 75mm Throttle Body for my combo. My question is will those mods be too much for the stock transmission which is automatic and for the stock rearend? I have 3.73 gears and a Ford Racing Aluminum Drive shaft at home already waiting to be put on also.

Part 2: I would like to put my combo on a DSS 331 short block when I get the money, i was curious if those would work well together of if I should go with the AFR 185 and the performer Intake for the 331.

Please keep in mind this car is a daily driver and needs to pass Texas emissions test. Im not trying to make a drag racer, just a fun car to drive than can compete with the newer cars. Thank you for all your help and suggestions!

• Sponsors (?)

I had thought the 185's weren't emissions legal, but maybe I am wrong. If they are emissions legal, then I would say go for it. They are good heads, just expensive.

I would say the TW heads & street heat intake are a little too small for a 331, but if you aren't looking to maximize power output, then at least get the track heat intake w/ the TW heads.
Scott

A top end kit will be fine on a stock block/tranny as far a wear. That will not be an issue. If the tranny is already going, the aluminum heads and cam won't make a difference in their going.

Take a look into doing the track heat intake, instead of the street heat.

Ok, lets say I put off the 331 until I get another car for a daily driver and I decide to get the TFS Track Kit what kind of numbers would it make with those other mods I will be putting on and will it be a good daily driver and pass emissions test? I have the money to supercharge and after cool it if thats not too much power for the rest of the drive train?

Well, take me for example. I have pretty close to the mods you are talking about (see sig). I think the only differences might be my LT headers (dont remember if you mentioned those) and a PMS with AFM dynotune. All that brought me 284 rwhp.

To be honest I expected to be bumping right up against 300. But having read some others post up with the similar mods, I guess 280 to 290 is about right for the TFS top end kit. Oh ya, and I prolly left 5 or so rwhp on the table because I used the AFM b-31 cam (it's a good daily driver or blower cam, but not a peak hp cam).

The blower should give you a good 50% hp boost when you do that (280 + 140 = 420). And that should give your stock bottem end a real workout (or the clutch or the rear end/axles), and something might give out before too long. I've read others claim that a centrifugal SC (Vortech/Procharger) is good for 80% to 100% gain over stock, but I still am not convinced.

- One more thought while you are setting your priorities. A top end kit is pretty invasive. You pull all the accessories, drop the tank, pull the AC compressor, break all kinds of engine seals (oil plan, timing chain cover, heades, etc.) So while you are doing that, you really should just go whole hog. Like if you ever intend to do the 331 (or even just LT headers), do it while you have the thing ripped apart anyway. If you aren't ready to go there yet, then do the supercharger for now. Just my 2 cents.

If I waited and got the DSS 331 with the level 20 upgrade with AFR heads. And went with 30# injectors and Edelbrock Perfomer Intake. What cam would you recomend for a daily driver. I dont want an extreme cam, maybe the TF stage 2 and a Vortech Super Charger with After cooler or a 150 NOS system, which do you suggest? Around what power could I expect to make at the tires with that? I will be getting a TKO tranmission and a 9" rearend to back that up.

ISUrb33 said:
If I waited and got the DSS 331 with the level 20 upgrade with AFR heads. And went with 30# injectors and Edelbrock Perfomer Intake. What cam would you recomend for a daily driver. I dont want an extreme cam, maybe the TF stage 2 and a Vortech Super Charger with After cooler or a 150 NOS system, which do you suggest? Around what power could I expect to make at the tires with that? I will be getting a TKO tranmission and a 9" rearend to back that up.

You aren't ever going to get anywhere with a power adder and 30# injectors. Furthermore there is no 'real' after cooler for a 94-95 vortech kit. Your best bet in that route is going methanol. You are throwing a lot of different options at us to be giving horse numbers. As far as a cam goes I would consider going for a custom grind from FTI, but that's entirely up to you. It's hard to match a cam without knowing exactly what you have for the rest of the motor.

have you looked at the FAQ at the top of the page? there are a lot of combos in there, maybe that will help. my mods are in the sig.

like said above, your not going to get any kind of inter/aftercooler for a 94/95 vortech or paxton or powerdyne. there isn't enough room for the piping. The only "kit" is a procharger. then there are turbos....

if it were me, if you have the money, do a 347 with 185 afrs, a track heat or similar intake, and a decent cam. DSS installs AFM cams, which are good cams.

Sorry for leaving so many gaps when I asked that question, I wasnt sure about all the parts. I have 17 grand to work with but I dont want to spend it on mistakes. Here is all that I have in mind so far:

-DSS 331 Level 20 upgrade
-Vortech Super Charger ( 8-10 psi )
-AFR heads ( 165, 185, 205 ? )
-Cam ( I dont know what size to get )
-Intake ( Performer RPM ? )
-42# Injectors
-Throttle Body ( 75mm ? )
-Mass/Air Meter ( C&L 76mm ? )
-Performance Automatic AOD
-Aluminum Drive Shaft
-9" rearend
-3.73 gears
-Optima Battery
-MSD Distributor
-Fludyne Radiator
-Aeromotive Fuel System

Thats all I know of off hand, if im leaving something off or something would work better as a daily driver feel free to let me know. I will talk all the advice I can get! Thanks for all of your help!

for that much money you can do alot! call up DSS and talk to them. thats what i did and they gave me a lot of good info. as far as vortech, like i said before, procharger is a more "complete" kit cause of the intercooler. heads, 185 at least. intake RPM 2, not the performer. They don't make just the RPM anymore, unless you buy used. 75 TB is fine, TB doesn't matter much if your supercharging. 80mm mass air. you don't really need a 9" rear, a beefed up 8.8 is more than enough. your looking at similar stuff to what i have. check out the link in the sig to see my mod list

ISUrb33 said:
Please keep in mind this car is a daily driver and needs to pass Texas emissions test. Im not trying to make a drag racer, just a fun car to drive than can compete with the newer cars. Thank you for all your help and suggestions!

A mild na combo like mine COULD be driven daily.

A low level boosted stock combo COULD be driven daily as well.

Put them both together and IMHO ... you might not be all that happy with the outcome ... for a DAILY DRIVER.

Don't know the shape of your Stang but that kind of hp level is gonna stress the whole rest of the drive train.

No doubt ... that would be a fun Stang to drive around town :nice:

However ... Since you have only ONE car to drive ... Talk to several peeps who have high hp cars to get an idea of what its like to own & maintain one of that level of performance before you put all that time, effort, and money in your Stang.

We all always want more ... but ... you can have a lotta fun with a good bit less hp than a stroked & forced combo ;)

Again ... the focus is on the fact you only got ONE car :shrug:

Just a thought or two from one who has had a hot rod or two :D

Grady

With a budget that big, and all the work you are lookin to do yourself, just remember you could end up dropping a big bunch of cash on tools (if you don't already have a pretty complete list of mechanic's tools).

Also, if I had a budget like that, I'd get a built crate motor from CHP. And if you are dead set on a power adder, then plan on doing a custom cam. That way you can get just the trade off you are looking for. Then spend the rest on suspension, rear end, drivetrain (and tools $$$).

Enjoy.

My high school shop teacher said he will let me do all the work in his shop that has everything I will need or can get access to. I would rather have just a stroked engine but alot of guys my age back home have the SS cameros and Trans Ams from the last year they were made with NOS and id like to be able to beat them and im sure I would need a power adder since I dont want the engine internals to be extreme and for a daily driver. Plus I hate when the teenagers in the rice burners try to race me, Id like to be able to beat them, most of them have stock engins with a turbo or NOS. I just want a nice dailiy driver that can compete with street cars. I cant wait to get back home and get started working on it. 3 more weeks until im back in good old texas. Thanks for the adivce, you guys are awesome!