being told 2 different thing about a rear end

biggyfan1

Mar 10, 2006
High Desert CA
looking for a ford rear end for my mustang and I'm reading and doing some home work and 2 different web sites say 2 different things about the width of the Granada rear end.

this site says the Granada rear is 52 1/4 wide
http://ultrastang.com/Page.asp?PageID=6

this site says it is 57 1/4
http://www.dfwmotorsport.com/Fairlane/9inchrearends.htm

And to top it off im get on craigslist and im looking for a 9 inch rear to buy and i see people saying "ford Granada 9"rear for sale 58 inch wide"

theeeeeen i see another "1960 T bird rear end. complete ford 9in rear end. 58 inches wide" :nono: well from what i was reading the 1960 T-bird rear is 52 3/4 RIGHT?

ok so what is the Granada width? 52 1/4 57 1/4 58......... my gosh. i am sorry for asking this question because it gets so many questions but when you see different answers from different pages and then some for sale adds with different measurements then web sites its like SH**.:shrug:
Everyone must be measuring different ways im thinking. some are measuring rear end only some are measuring drum to drum. am i right about this.

• Sponsors (?)

I can't find any proof real quick, but....
Ultrastang says his measurements are axle flange to axle flange. The other site doesn't specify, but it's a direct copy of info I saved some years ago (can't remember from where) and my memory (such as it is) says those measurements are wheel flange to wheel flange.
Try a search for 9" widths, you may find it specified.
FWIW.

From the outside of the wheel mounting flange to the outside of the opposite flange, my Granada rear is 57 3/4". If you measure between the BRAKE flange, you'll get a measurement of about 52". That accounts for the offset on the brakes on each side.

The best way to measure a rear, IMO, is the outside dimensions from wheel mounting flanges. That way you can also figure in the wheel offset when measuring the body.

Ditto, he's getting confused on the dimensions. Some use the dimension of the axle housing itself (brake mount flange), some use the axle to axle flange. Don't sweat the minor discrepancies (the less than inch fractions) you can adjust for that with wheel backspace. My 77 Comet had the same width rear as a 65-66, but the 9" housing I bought was 1" wider. I still mangaged to fit 295/50's under it with 15x10 wheels using a 5" backspace.

Ok. i thank you guys very much. I was going to start getting under some cars and making my measurements but with all the different web sites with different info i was not sure what the hell was going on. I didnt want to drive 1 hour to someones house to buy a rear end just to not know what real measurements were.