Bent 302 Cam??

PakstinN

Jul 17, 2014
alright so a couple months ago I had the misfortune of blowing up my 5.0 (crank snapped...picked timing chain up off street) and when we were taking the cam out we noticed that it seemed kind of hard to pull the cam out of the first set of cam bearings, after that it came out perfectly...when the engine went, it bent a pushrod/exhaust valve on cylinder number 3..just curious as to if this would have bent the cam or if its likely straight? also, would it be a wise choice to get a new set of lifters after the plungers inside them were under enough stress to bend pushrods? I have $2k into my shortblock and it would NOT be good if I had a cam fail in a fresh short block

• Sponsors (?)

A machine shop can easily check the can to see if it is straight. See the picture below...

0996b43f80206517.gif

Reactions: 1 users
This would be a great time to order just the right cam for your combo. And I prefer to order Rhodes lifters because I like the smooth idle, torque and brake vacuum, and then full power from mid range on up out of the same nasty cam. But even stock new lifters are a good idea if you are not sure of them.
You get bonus points for such extensive distruction.

Reactions: 1 user