best aftermarket hoods (fit and price)

pazcarguy

Mar 30, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I am looking for a stock hood for my 66 coupe (steel,no fiberglass). Looking for what brand or company sells a hood that fits good without paying for an OEM tooling price. Don't want to spend an arm an leg getting it aligned/body lines to line up[. Any suggestions? Brian

• Sponsors (?)

66StangFastback said:
I found some good cheap hoods at www.up22.com Havent heard anything about their company though...

You havent been here long :)

Up22 is at the very bottom of the list for quality. Ask gp0001 about Up22. I ordered a scoop from there and even after they put the grey primer on it...you could SEE LIGHT through the figerglass

pazcarguy said:
I am looking for a stock hood for my 66 coupe (steel,no fiberglass). Looking for what brand or company sells a hood that fits good without paying for an OEM tooling price. Don't want to spend an arm an leg getting it aligned/body lines to line up[. Any suggestions? Brian

What you say doesn't makes sense? If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg I would go with the best quality which will cost the most. I believe you can get a new hood that comes off of OEM "Ford" tooling which should fit better than NOS stock hoods (Made in Taiwan). You would not have to worry about alignment issues and higher body shop costs with the new OEM tooled hoods. :nice:

reply to huey pilot

As the title said, I did my homework and looked into pricing . $400.00 plus for an oem tooling hood anywhere I looked. Don't want to spend that as most aftermarket are $150~200. Some are much better than others in fit and body lines. I am trying to get an opinion from others who purchased a hood as to what brand or distributors hoods fit the best for the cheapest price. I have kids and a mortgage and looking for input as to "most bang for the buck" as my income is not unlimited. Brian

pazcarguy said:
As the title said, I did my homework and looked into pricing . $400.00 plus for an oem tooling hood anywhere I looked. Don't want to spend that as most aftermarket are $150~200. Some are much better than others in fit and body lines. I am trying to get an opinion from others who purchased a hood as to what brand or distributors hoods fit the best for the cheapest price. I have kids and a mortgage and looking for input as to "most bang for the buck" as my income is not unlimited. Brian

My experience has taught me you will pay a little now for a cheap hood and more later to get it to fit or buy another one because it can't be made to fit. I have parts hanging in the attic that I could not get to fit and turned around and bought the higher priced one that would fit. You could call a good restoration shop and ask them about fit and finish of the various brands availible.

thehueypilot said:
My experience has taught me you will pay a little now for a cheap hood and more later to get it to fit or buy another one because it can't be made to fit. I have parts hanging in the attic that I could not get to fit and turned around and bought the higher priced one that would fit. You could call a good restoration shop and ask them about fit and finish of the various brands availible.

a guy who no longer posts here used to have this in his signature line:

"Good ain't cheap and cheap ain't good."

This observation is as accurate as it is pithy.

I bought NPD's repro turn signal hood for my '67. I think it was $150 two years ago. The hood fit well and I didn't have any alignment issues. I think it's kind of hit or miss with any hood. There aren't many 40 year old cars that haven't had their front fenders 'tweaked' in an accident or two.

One other thing I forgot to mention.......if you order the cheap hood and it does not fit well it will cost you a truck freight charge to ship it to you and cost you double the first charge to return it (business's have a cheaper shipping rates than private individuals). It could cost you a restocking fee as well so that is why I kept the cheap parts that did not fit. Just trying to save you some money by not making the same mistake that some of us learned the hard way. :shrug:

thehueypilot said:
What you say doesn't makes sense? If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg I would go with the best quality which will cost the most. I believe you can get a new hood that comes off of OEM "Ford" tooling which should fit better than NOS stock hoods (Made in Taiwan). You would not have to worry about alignment issues and higher body shop costs with the new OEM tooled hoods. :nice:

Um, now you aren't making sense, do you know what NOS means? Taiwan makes Repro parts and they only started doing so in the 80's. Most NOS parts were made at the time of manufacture just like the car but were simply never used up, thus the definition of New Old Stock.

Pakrat said:
Um, now you aren't making sense, do you know what NOS means? Taiwan makes Repro parts and they only started doing so in the 80's. Most NOS parts were made at the time of manufacture just like the car but were simply never used up, thus the definition of New Old Stock.

Ford outsourced a lot of their parts to Taiwan in the 80's just before they quit producing/selling early model Mustang NOS parts. I bought an NOS hood that arrived in an original FoMoCo box with FoMoCo shipping and stocking stickers on the hood itself. It said it was made in Taiwan. Had I known this I would not of paid big bucks for an NOS part. Now that is not to say that some NOS parts were not made in the USA. The early, good NOS parts that have the red oxide primer on them came off of the original tooling and are a very good fit/correct gauge made in the USA, but are all most nonexistant. The black EPD coating was not used by OEM Ford suppliers for early Mustangs. To save money on their replacement part business Ford used Tawain as a third or fourth tier supplier. :nice: