Best Budget Forced Induction?

FalconGuy016

Oct 26, 2004
Northern VA
A few years ago I remember the Mongoose kit being pretty popular, but after a search here there hasn't been a thread about those in over 2 years (??).

Does anyone know what the best complete FI setup is on a stock mustang (exhaust exc.) ? No nitrous though

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The mongoose kits are still around. And for a stock GT, the reliability of them simply cant be beat IMO. Last I checked the price didnt increase a nice chunk. Used to be one of the cheapest AND a solid, reputable kit but now the price isnt shy of alot of the others.

These days seems most people really are gettin a hard on over the kenne bell kits. For good reason too I suppose. If I was in the market for a blower, and on a budget, it'd be between a mongoose kit or one from these guys: Tork Tech Inc..

Mongoose kit is a pretty good deal, although it has gone up in price, IIRC. Seems like I remember it used to be $3200-$3300. It is now $3900 for the Vortech kit, which is the cheapest.

However, if I had a PI 2v motor, and I was going blown on a budget, here is what I would do:

Tork Tech Terminator Eaton manifold: $2000
Used Eaton from a Lightning or Cobra: $500
Installation Parts for Eaton (injectors, fuel pump, heat exchanger, coolant reservoir, etc): $700
Tune: $300

Total: $3500

That will net just as much horsepower as the Vortech, plus all the low end torque of the roots supercharger. And it can be done cheaper.

My .02

I just saw a few tuner kits for $2800 on ebay which are kits that lack a programmer/tune. With the times like they are now, you are able to get a good deal if you search enough.

I picked up an s-trim vortech (the loud unit) brand new in the box for $1500. Vortech are the kits that you'll find the cheapest most of the time, however most have good luck with the kit :nice:

Supercharger kits are for suckers that don't know any better. You can piece a kit together using all new and better parts for much less the $3900. Hell it didn't even cost me $4000 to put together my Novi 2000 setup.

What no love for the turbos ? Turbo Kits for Ford Mustangs Grab one of the turbo kits a UPR K-member and shop around for a MAF, Injectors, and a Focus fuel pump and your looking pretty good for around $3000 so far. May look into that turbo upgrade though. If I were able to do it all over again this is the route I would go...

Turbo kit $1725.00
UPR K $699.99
MAF & Injectors $350
Fuel Pump $190

turbo kit will end up costing more in the end. plus i really like the reliability of a s/c.

i did drive my buddies 888/945 cobra yesterday and it is just ****ing nasty!! the power comes in WAY harder than my can but it is useless even on the 325 MT's!! still a very fun car though

I started out with the mongoose kit and don't have one complaint. Great, reliable power. You can't beat it.

What I like about the centrifugal superchargers versus the roots is the fact that you can get way more power out of one without having to upgrade to a bigger blower like on the roots style ones. With a vortech SQ trim, i've seen people dyno over 550rwhp with supporting mods, and when you want more you can send it back to vortech with an 800$ check and get it upgraded to a T trim (hellooooo 800+ rwhp). Granted the power doesn't kick in as soon as with a roots blower but some people prefer that because its easier to get traction. With the 1.8 kenne belle or similar roots blower i believe (and i may be mistaken) 450ish rwhp is all you're going to squeeze out of it. *puts flame suit on*

Eaton Setup FTW

I agree with the eaton setup, at least most of it. it is cheap and very reliable! Had a ported one on my cobra since 05 an no blower issues at all. However if you do go that route then you need to get a different intercooler and h/e then the stock crap. My IC cracked an leaned out my car like hell. I almost blew it up when this happened so I decided to go with the new stage-3 IC from velocity. It actually added HP also, well that is not totally true. More of less it kept my ECU from pulling timing which resulted in a 80hp gain on the top end and very consistent E.T.'s due to no more heat soak. I actually just bought there whole stage-3 kit minus the fan shroud. I was a great investment and you just cant put a price tag on protecting your investment (at least if you have a gt500 or a cobra). They are cheaper than the dealer retail also, and I would not even think about running a used one out of a blown up car or a junker. If it is on ebay then what happened to make them put it on there? Seeing as how that IC transfers over to the Whipple and KB blowers it just doesn't make sense why it would be for sale. Just keep that in mind while ebaying these parts.

Here are the links to the parts that I ended up going with.

Velocity Turbo Systems, LLC

Pictures by VelocityTurboSystems - Photobucket

Good luck and keep adding suggestions! This thread could have saved me tons when I got my first stang!

later,

Jim