Best cams for a built 4.6 that can be tuned to pass smog?

I am trying to get to a setup that can pass a smog test while trying to reuse as much of my current setup as possible. Currently I have a .020 over long block with forged internals, ported PI heads, a Pro Charger F1 blower, and a bunch of other parts the state of California would frown upon being out on the road.
Since I live in California I know I am going to need to change my fuel system back to stock and get a carb legal exhaust.
When I did my build back in 2001 the tuner that I had(which was referred to me and have no desire to try and locate again) swore that I needed to fully upgrade my fuel system to support my SHM Billet camshafts. The only paperwork I have from then says they are stage II cams with .495 lift 230 duration.
I am on a budget, so a 50 state legal blower kit is on hold for a while. So, I need something that can still be pretty healthy N/A but can still be setup to run on a secondary tune to pass the sniffer.
At this point I think I have more questions than answers. Are my current cams ok to run N/A on a stock fuel system? If not, what cams should I run? Stock PI cams?

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe...if you have the stock injectors and fuel pump then yes it's at it's limits for your cams. As far as emissions you will never get passed with those cams. Not legally anyway. Stage 1 would be the limit. We have sniffers tests here and I have to get creative to get my sticker. Is it possible to leave it registered in your previous state? maybe change the ownership to a relative?

Reactions: 1 user
It has always been a California car, i just non oped it.
The car is pretty well known around here so I couldn't get away with an out of state registration. They also really frown upon that trick to avoid smog and registration.

Also in digging through files I did find my invoice from SHM that lists the cams as stage I 495s not stage II

If it doesn't throw a CEL then you just have to pass visual, right? They do not run the car on the dyno after 1999, just plug into the port to check the PCM. Several acquaintances with built older cars(still have to pass smog though)pay extra for the smog cert without testing, illegal it is.....

If it doesn't throw a CEL then you just have to pass visual, right? They do not run the car on the dyno after 1999, just plug into the port to check the PCM. Several acquaintances with built older cars(still have to pass smog though)pay extra for the smog cert without testing, illegal it is.....
There are always work arounds...some legal, some not so. I'm not admitting to anything but my car is legal. :D

I have never had that car smogged on a dyno, it has always been a sniffer. So getting something I can throw a secondary tune on the car to pass that is key. Passing the visual just depends on what shop you go to.
However the cops around here do like to pop hoods and check for illegal mods. So going with the stock fuel system is just playing safe so I do not get the car seized.
The huge billet fuel rails, multiple fuel regulators and the a&n lines the size of garden hoses I have now just scream illegal mods to a cop that doesn't know what they are looking at.

I might be able to go up a size in injector but I will for sure be limited to stock rails and lines